Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ...Up My Nasal Chamber

...Up My Nasal Chamber

What do they smell ? Or more precisely what smells do Deer react to ? We all know that deer generally have a very keen senses, hearing and scent abilities are especially sharp closely followed by sight. Combined they are a formidable trio of detectors, like a radar.

Their reaction to various stimuli are determined by several factors, these usually are firstly detected by one sense and then backed up by another, or more. At which time there is a decision made and a response determined in line with that trigger and situation. My question is this -
    1. DOES HUMAN SCENT ALWAYS ALARM A DEER
    2. IS HUMAN SCENT ALONE SPECIFICALLY ENOUGH TO PRODUCE A FLIGHT RESPONSE..OR
    3. IS IT WHEN ASSOCIATED 'HUMAN' ODOURS ( AFTER SHAVE FOR INSTANCE) AND / OR UNRECOGNISED ODOURS ARE COMBINED THAT A REACTION IS TRIGGERED.

Are we Humans recognised "BY SCENT ALONE" as a PREDATOR ?

Don't ask me, I have a cold ?

Cheers

Ade
    HOW MANY HALF TRUTHS MAKE A STORY.....ALL OF THEM.....JUST NOT THE WHOLE STORY !

Mmmmmmm

Ade when anyone can give you that information let me know they'll know the lottery numbers for the next draw .

Are you having problems sleeping .

What do you think fool ?????
    HOW MANY HALF TRUTHS MAKE A STORY.....ALL OF THEM.....JUST NOT THE WHOLE STORY !

Ade
    wot a fascinating set of questions
    just a shame the answers will not proove like wise
    Deer are just like any other animals
    think of it this way
    when you go to a grab a granny night and that distinctive smell of over 60's perfume catches your attention followed by that semi-toothles smile
    it is just like that at times when deer sense us

The reaction is to RUN

But if you detect that sweet alluring smell that often wafts from the younger of the opposite sex something automatically draws you nearer in hope of just a glimpse of the hidden promise

Now Wayne Davies for example
    has that such effect or is it manly Aftershave

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    Ade
    think of it this way
    when you go to a grab a granny night and that distinctive smell of over 60's perfume catches your attention followed by that semi-toothles smile

The reaction is to RUN

But if you detect that sweet alluring smell that often wafts from the younger of the opposite sex something automatically draws you nearer in hope of just a glimpse of the hidden promise

Cheers for that mate, as Widows son noticed I am a Night Owl, the by-product of shifts, nightclub work and too much red bull !

From that distance the Doe would have heard my heart beating mate......

She knew he was there with the camera for sure, which could either have either meant scent, movement or noise. But ( I'm guessing ) the lack of a recognisable profile behind the hedge was enough to reassure her in the end to browse. Would be good to find out which direction the wind was blowing if any at all though eh !

Cheers Mate

Ade

Ade
    I'm pretty sure it was a still morning with out any breeze
    the 2 of us and Max( a Large pointer) were not hidden by the hedge and both our body outlines were more than visible as we had no back ground to blend into
    As you can hear by the talking on the clip not that loud I agee, that did not put her off either
    I just think she realised that there was some thing there that morning that she had not seen before and finally decided to cut into the hedge another few yards she would of been walking through the gap in the hedge just behind anyway
    but a wonderfull morning regardless
    ATB

This is an interesting questioin and I often ponder similar stuff. For example I stalk a bit in commercial woodland which often has people working, and doing other stuff, in it. If the deer ran away at every wiff of humans then I doubt if they would ever appear. So, this gives me to suspect that they may have some ability to determine how far away the scent is coming from. I've no idea how they might actually do this but suspect it would be the only practical way for them, otherwise they would be in hiding 24 hours a day.

I also often ponder that in some areas deer are not alarmed by people in cars - this is true of a few areas I know. Now the car must smell of human scent as all that air from the ventilation passes out somewhere plus it must also smell of oil and so on. So, if deer will run from human scent when we are a mile away why will they stand within yards of my car?

Based on this I suspect that some of what we've been told about deer and smell is not quite true, or at least is not a complete description of their behaviour, but a full description of how they behave is probably beyond us.

I have long thought that in reality how much do we really know about our quarry species, whatever type it may be. Pigeon shooters park their car a long way from their hide, why? Pigeons fly over more vehicles every day than we see. Are they worried by them? I doubt it. Foxes smell humans on a daily basis and take no notice, I have roe near me that ignore me completely (they are not shot at!). But in other situations they would be gone.
    Much is talked about how well we know our quarry, I suspect in truth we don't know as much as we would like to think we do!

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    Ade
    think of it this way

The reaction is to RUN

Are you talking through experience then Stone
    Personally I try to keep away from anything that smells of stale piss and smells like the ***** house door of a fleetwood trawler but if it lights your candle good on you
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 02-11-2010 at 16:09.

all deer are different really and I don't just mean across the species. They learn behaviour and take on their parent reactions to smells, noises or visual triggers but I 've seen some odd reactions. Reds have clocked me at 50m clicking my sticks, looked right at me and stood to see what made the noise but then at distance the slightest trigger can set them off. Deer have stood and looked back while one fall over after a shot. They can definately judge how far you are away by the strengh of your sent carried on the air across open ground. I've seen hinds at distance pick up my scent and raise their heads testing the wind before settling back down after a minute or so.

One thing for sure is that they become alerted at any change to the natural scents carried on the wind and anything oil based like fuel residue is a disaster. Sounds that are not from their environment too like wellies squeeking grass spook a lot of ground ahead. Being seen though isn't always a disaster so long as your movements are smooth and you don't stop suddenly (they're eyesight's not great) because they know you spotted them and they're gone.

The complication is that deer adapt to their environments like city roe or park deer but they always sense when they're being hunted if you give them signals to react to. Some wild deer are very skitty and any signals send them to cover. Others like young ones are just really thick or curious or both. Cars are amazing camo. I was sleeping in the car before it was bright enough to head out last year and when I woke up and looked out, 3 reds were grazing only 50m from the car with a clear line of sight from me to them. Driving by them they mostly ignore you but slow your speed and....?