Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Police report into firearms licensing in Cumbria. BASC response.

Police report into firearms licensing in Cumbria. BASC response.

The following press release has been sent to home affairs correspondents, crime correspondents, news agencies, the shooting press and all local newspapers in the UK.

Bill Harriman was interviewed on BBC Breakfast News this morning and Steve Woodhall was interviewed on BBC Radio Cumbria. Comments from our statement have been used by the Press Association and BBC News are hoping to interview Bill Harriman later on today.

BASC statement on findings of ACPO review into firearms licensing procedures in Cumbria.

The UKís largest shooting organisation, the British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC), welcomes the detailed report of a review of the granting of firearms licences to Derrick Bird, who murdered 12 people in Cumbria in June.

The review was undertaken by the chair of the Association of Chief Police Officers' Firearms and Explosives Licensing Working Group, Adrian Whiting, who is also Assistant Chief Constable of Dorset Police.

The report states that the police, other agencies and the public had no information which should reasonably have led to the revocation of Birdís certificates and that no immediately obvious changes need to be made either within the Cumbria constabulary or in the law which would have prevented the tragedy.

Bill Harriman, BASCís director of firearms, said: ďThe UKís firearms laws are among the strictest in the world. The licensing process includes home visits by the police, background checks and may also involve medical checks. BASC will work through the details of the report and its recommendations with great care. UK gun owners go through an extremely rigorous licensing process to ensure as far as possible that they pose no risk to public safety and keep their firearms secure. As the Prime Minister said, you cannot legislate for the moment when a switch flicks in someoneís head.Ē

The two parts of the report can be found here: http://www.acpo.police.uk/asp/polici...eportPart1.pdf

http://www.acpo.police.uk/asp/polici...eportPart2.pdf

Simon Clarke
    Head of Press Relations
    BASC
    simon.clarke@basc.org.uk

Thanks Simon.

It is good to see that there are no major changes to the way our certificates and licenses are going to be administered. Certainly nothing that I fear will cripple the shooting community as far as I can make out. I don't see it being a bad thing having medical checks will be more regular, or that peopl on suspended prison sentences wont be granted them.

Hopefully there aren't any other changes on their way on the hush hush.

DC

Simon, great links thank you! It is interesting about the medical proposals. Patient confidentiality in the medical profession is paramount, and breaches of it lead to instant dismissal. I wonder how they will reconcile this?

I also wonder if this could lead to a standardisation across constabularies, leading to the use of ACPO guidelines in conditions on FAC's?

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

in respect of doctors,mine used to sign my certificate years ago but this was outlawed as they charged for it .just put a box on the application that the doctor has to sign,Seems simple to me
    As for using one form for all shotgun and firearms,this would save most of us on this site a lot of hassle

one cert for all makes sense to me ! would save everybody a lot of time and hassel !

Once they see sense is involved, that'l be the end of that!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Regular Poster
    Hi Guys I heard on the news a differant story, last night 6 pm news, mentioned that the law will need tightened.
    I only caught the last bit, i watched the later news but it didnt mention it again.
    6.0 Summary of recommendations, 10, Introduce a single certificate type for both s1 firearms and shotguns.
    This appears to imply shotguns on same approvale as firearms.
    Barry

PS its in http://www.acpo.police.uk/asp/polici...eportPart2.pdf
    Last edited by barry thom; 03-11-2010 at 08:20.

Good work BASC
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

I see the Police came out of this scot free, there was nothing they could have done to prevent this? Derrick Bird had been arrested three times, including once for obtaining money with menaces, yet he was allowed to keep his FAC and SGC? I will probably get shot down for saying this but sometimes the Police aren't tough enough. I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but three arrests tells me he was a wrong'un. JC

Quote Originally Posted by JC275 View Post
    I see the Police came out of this scot free, there was nothing they could have done to prevent this? Derrick Bird had been arrested three times, including once for obtaining money with menaces, yet he was allowed to keep his FAC and SGC? I will probably get shot down for saying this but sometimes the Police aren't tough enough. I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but three arrests tells me he was a wrong'un. JC
    Not by me you wont. How can we go through such tough criminal checks etc when we get a licence but then not revoke someones licence following being arrested for potentially violent behaviour. Unreal.