Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cant decide

Cant decide

hi lads, im going to be in a position soon where i'll be able to have a dog. i am looking a good worker for tracking deer. i have heard many people saying not to touch certain breeds, but i would prefer if you's could all voice your opinions and give me advice, before its too late! i will only be able to go stalking every couple of weeks, however i will be out for 2-3days at a time! I dont really want to get a dog that requires constant working as this just wont suit me as i have other commitments. I would appreciate it if you all could get in touch with your advice and experiences!!

Now that is some question that could receive many replies and cause you severe confusion.

I think you really need to assess what you want/expect from a dog and thereafter do research into which breeds meet with your requirements. Here I am not only talking the abilities of the dog but size, sex and your ability to train.

The dog I have suits me and my circumstances perfectly but this dog may not be the one for you therefore to advise from my experience may not assist.

big question, horses for courses I guess. Is the dog going to be kennelled, or a house pet as well? Who will be looking after the dog while you are away? Do you have young children? How big is your house? My wife and I started looking for a dog 4 years ago and these are some of the questions we had to be able to answer, after that we went on to what we wanted the dog to be able to do as far as working went, and decided on a GWP. Only to be shut down after visiting with a very good breeder who asked us some of the questions above. After hearing our answers she said that the GWP was not for us. Two years later and much searching we decided on a HWHV and then the search for a breeder started we now have a fantastic family pet and a good working dog.

Good luck with this one charlie

Have thought about the different sex- however i cant decide. The dog would be kennelled but would also be a pet. When i am not around my girlfriend will be looking after the dog and exercising it with no bother. I am looking for a keen dog that will hunt through thick forestry. I would like the dog to indicate that there are deer before i see them!! Is that too much to ask , seriously just to track! Could every1 post pictures of the dogs they have, to indicate size etc. As this will be my first working dog i dont hae any experience in training, however i know people that do train there own so i will have no worries there.

http://ghda.germanlonghair.com/

Perhaps information from The German Hunting Dogs Association UK might help towards your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by gentleman jim View Post
    Have thought about the different sex- however i cant decide. The dog would be kennelled but would also be a pet. When i am not around my girlfriend will be looking after the dog and exercising it with no bother. I am looking for a keen dog that will hunt through thick forestry. I would like the dog to indicate that there are deer before i see them!! Is that too much to ask , seriously just to track! Could every1 post pictures of the dogs they have, to indicate size etc. As this will be my first working dog i dont hae any experience in training, however i know people that do train there own so i will have no worries there.
    You may want to look at a BMH. From what you have written they should fill the criteria you have mentioned. However they need to be worked on a regular basis. But thats not to say that other breeds can be equally as good.

Good luck

Perhaps information from The German Hunting Dogs Association UK might help towards your decision.[/QUOTE]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    You may want to look at a BMH. From what you have written they should fill the criteria you have mentioned. However they need to be worked on a regular basis. But thats not to say that other breeds can be equally as good.

Good luck
    I check the site there, there doesnt look to be many BMH about! Nice looking dog, the gf seen one crossed with a lab and supposed to be a nice dog too but whether it would make a good tracker is yet to been seen. If you know of any good books i could read on this breed and tracking just let me know thanks. This hound is looking promising for me if i can just get my hands on one after i read up on them!! Not sure whether there is many being bred in england or ireland so if you know of any just give me a shout. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by gentleman jim View Post
    I check the site there, there doesnt look to be many BMH about! Nice looking dog, the gf seen one crossed with a lab and supposed to be a nice dog too but whether it would make a good tracker is yet to been seen. If you know of any good books i could read on this breed and tracking just let me know thanks. This hound is looking promising for me if i can just get my hands on one after i read up on them!! Not sure whether there is many being bred in england or ireland so if you know of any just give me a shout. cheers

Not sure about Ireland, but in the UK you can source pups for BMH, but be careful. Check the lineage, and expect to pay 800 or there abouts. I would not advocate buying a mongrel that is crossed between a Lab and BMH.

Niels sondergrass (thinks thats how you spell it) wrote a very good book on tracking. Look through the BDS website and you may find his book there.

Please PM me if you want some info or contacts for a BMH in the near future.

Best

Sikamalc