Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To tip a stalker?

To tip a stalker?

Having come from a game shooting background i understand that it is necessary to tip the keeper at the end of the day. Now is it the same with stalking? I tend to tip and the end of a successful stalk is this the norm? is it also expected to tip at the end of a 'unsuccessful' (don't like that word) stalk? or is it not expected at all? If you do tip, how much is it per beast as a rule of thumb? more for a buck/stag than doe/hind?

George
    Last edited by groach1234; 03-11-2010 at 10:47.

I can tell you what I do, it may or may not work for you but it just seems fair to me:

I know approx what the stalkers fee is on the ground I take "bought" days on (i.e. how much the stalker pockets after the estate and booking fee and so on) and it is a bit less than what I get paid for a days work so I always try to make that up to what I would get paid for a day. I would do this even if we were "unsuccessful" and in fact the last time I was out we didn't get out of the car because of bad weather (The forecast said it was to clear - it didn't) but we sat and discussed the possibility of my doing DSC2 and the stalker put me right on a few things and give me lots of info. In effect I got a one day DSC2 classroom session.

So, i guess there are as many answers to this as there are people but my bottom line is that I don't expect the stalker to work for anything less than I work for.

Quote Originally Posted by groach1234 View Post
    Having come from a game shooting background i understand that it is necessary to tip the keeper at the end of the day. Now is it the same with stalking? I tend to tip and the end of a successful stalk is this the norm? is it also expected to tip at the end of a 'unsuccessful' (don't like that word) stalk? or is it not expected at all? If you do tip, how much is it per beast as a rule of thumb? more for a buck/stag than doe/hind?

George
    if the stalker is working for an estates yes i will tip as he isnt getting the full fee you are paying just a wage,if the stalker is working for himself IE taking your total fee himself no I dont

If you've had an enjoyable stalk, regardless of whether it was succesful, I'd say yes, even if it's only a tenner for a couple of beers.

If you are planning to go with them regularly it can only help!

Thanks for your opinions and definitely worth thinking about. As for make sure they don't earn less that i do, I'm 18 and working for £6 an hour so that would really work. I went out today and got a fallow doe and tipped £20 to the keeper. I decided that was the right amount as i can't afford much more and when I have already almost spent 2 days wages on the stalk i would struggle to tip much more. But as has been said looking after him can't do me any harm for future stalking.

George

I like to give a tip......a PG Tip and tell them to have a drink on me (tommy cooper) Thank you very much

Thanks for your opinions and definitely worth thinking about. As for make sure they don't earn less that i do, I'm 18 and working for £6 an hour so that would really work. I went out today and got a fallow doe and tipped £20 to the keeper. I decided that was the right amount as i can't afford much more and when I have already almost spent 2 days wages on the stalk i would struggle to tip much more. But as has been said looking after him can't do me any harm for future stalking.

George
    George

That's really generous given how much you earn. When I started I was on very low pay, and having got to know the stalker I used to give him a bottle of Famous Grouse after a weekends stalking. Come to think of it, when I used to stay at his family cottage we ended up drinking a fair portion of it as well.

George
    When you clock off after a days work, does anyone hand you a tip! Thought not.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    When you clock off after a days work, does anyone hand you a tip! Thought not.
    When I worked in a hotel behind the bar, Yes.

George

you will know when its the write time to tip, like today you had a cracking morning and you were very happy if your not happy about things then you dont give anymore of your hard earned cash away. as for how much thats upto you in my eyes that keeper will probably have a idea of what kind of money your earning just from chatting with you and he will realise £20 is a fair amount of cash to some people. others its a very small drop in the ocean