Fixed Mag Scopes

liamnjs

I have a query about the advice given to many people on restricted budgets- buy secondhand fixed european. Nowadays this almost invariably means a fixed mag of 6x or over. It is advice that I followed myself, and I am the proud owner of a 6x42 Swaro, an undeniably brilliant piece of glass.

My question is whether this is too restricting, in that it surrenders the low mag range? I recently found myself stalking in really dense woodland, trying to pick out a muntjac in the field layer that was about 30 yards away at most. 6x was certainly too much mag for the circumstances.

Would it not therefore be better to identify what is needed, and then buy the best you can afford? Would I not have been better off with a variable with a low minimum mag (1.5-6x?) even if it meant the scope was a Tasco Titan rather than a Swaro?

Well I have a very nice 2-7x32 Nikon, would you like to do a straight swap for your Swaro ? :D

Neil. :)

A very good point and I have been wondering if 6x is too much for most use and perhaps a 4x would be better?.................................. On my variables I tend to stick them on 6x and leave them there so perhaps I should switch this to 4x and see how it goes. I do have a nice 4x35 Pecar Champion on my 7x57 and don't find it a handicap.

I used an 8x50 for years and did not feel restricted.

I changed it to a 2.5-10x42 a while back. I think it is great, set it on 6x, if you enter woods it can be turned down to 3 or 4x. I took at shot at just over 250 yards a couple of weeks ago and turned it up to 10x.

I think it really is a near ideal deer scope, but I would not be heart broken in the least if I could only use the fixed 8.

I've got a 1 - 6 x 24IR Swaro on my Mauser M03 9.3 x 62. It's zeroed for me and I often take it off and have others shoot it over open sights. The rifle really does feel and shoot like a shotgun.

I then stick the scope on and have them shoot it on x4. They are always amazed that they hit 1" high at 100M.....

I then crank the mag down to 1 and they can see that there is no lateral deviation.

For HUNTING I would settle on this. For UK stalking at first/last light then the objective goes up and you're in the 50/56mm range and that isn't fixed mag.

Stan

At the risk of Neil hunting me down and beating me senseless I would say don't do it.

The issue is that if you spotted that munty and the scope was set on a high mag, you wouldn't have time turn it down before the deer legged it anyway.

The closest I have shot a deer with my fixed 7 is 15 yards, just use the thick bits of the crosshairs at that distance and find the shoulder.

A fixed six swaro is a very useful tool indeed.

At the risk of Neil hunting me down and beating me senseless I would say don't do it.

Ok, start looking over your shoulder, I'm coming to find you :p
Actually I'm not sure if I want to swap or not, my Nikon is unmarked and on my .223, all zeroed and ready to use.
I need a scope for my .22 Hornet, but I also want to keep the .223 for a while yet, before deciding which to keep.

Grandhubert,

If one was stalking in close woodland one would start with the mag turned down....

You would only need or choose to "turn it up" if increased distance warranted it. This would indicate longer range, more unaware deer and therefore time.

Stan

Ok, start looking over your shoulder, I'm coming to find you :p
Actually I'm not sure if I want to swap or not, my Nikon is unmarked and on my .223, all zeroed and ready to use.
I need a scope for my .22 Hornet, but I also want to keep the .223 for a while yet, before deciding which to keep.

:D

I can teach you no more, your haggling technique is now complete grasshopper!

Grandhubert,

If one was stalking in close woodland one would start with the mag turned down....

You would only need or choose to "turn it up" if increased distance warranted it. This would indicate longer range, more unaware deer and therefore time.

Stan

Hi mate, as you point out the theory is well established, I would however still note that in theory, communism works....

Grandhubert,

According to half our Government Ministers, currently in China, Communism works and is no longer a theory :)

Stan

:D

I can teach you no more, your haggling technique is now complete grasshopper!

OK, well how about this then, you could buy my Leica Trinovid 8x32's (advertised on this site) that way I can buy the scope I want, the OP gets to keep his scope, the one you say he shouldn't swap for my Nikon scope.
You get a decent pair of bins and everybody is happy :D

Back