Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Combination Guns.

  1. #1

    Combination Guns.

    How popular are the combination style guns in this country? I know they're indeed very popular in Countries such as Germany and Austria, although they do have a different hunting style to us. It sounds like something I'd like to maybe add to my cabinet.

  2. #2
    Not very ppular at all. Take a look at the guntrader website and you'll see what I mean. There are very few for sale.

  3. #3
    If you are interested in getting one check out the Holts Auctions. They come up from time to time, often in very good, almost unused condition - probably some old codger pops his clogs and the family selling off his 'Cabinet Queen'. As has been said, they tend not to be very popular over here, (personally don't know why - maybe because you can't fit a 'Tacticool bolt knob' to them? ), so bargains are to be had. I think HeymSR on this forum did just that with a double rifle. Tend to be in favoured continental chamberings and quite often have an 'R' on the calibre, so you might have to be prepared for handloading.

  4. #4
    I have a 16 bore over 7x65r combination gun and really like it. To be honest I really like it as a rifle, short, light and with a break action to my mind very safe and practical. You can keep it broken whilst stalking and the close it to take a shot. They also break down like a shot gun. As for the shotgun barrel - to be honest have n't used it that much, but suppose it may be useful if ever I need a close range finishing shot or if you are travelling a you thus have a shotgun with you.

    They tend to be pretty accurate - certainly mine is grouping into an inch at 100 yds but you do need to let the barrel cool between shots otherwise they tend to shoot high. Not really an issue in the field. No you can't add a bipod, moderator or tacticool bolt handle to them, and like most lightweight fast handling rifles are a bit more difficult to shoot accurately than say a heavy barreled sporter. But haven't found mine lacking to date.

    Most are hand built and fitted with a scope in claw mounts. Some of the older ones have a lot of drop on the stock, that particularly prevents a good cheek weld if using a scope. But this will vary greatly. If you are buying one with a scope ready mounted in claw mounts, make sure it is correct for you as it is quite expensive to have another set of mounts set up for another scope. Many of the modern ones have swing off mounts which are a bit more flexible.

  5. #5
    If it is an R calibre, you will basically have to handload as ammo is not that widely available. You may also have to get the dies from overseas - not difficult with the internet. But other than that was surprised at how straightforward reloading actually is.

  6. #6

    Combi's

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    How popular are the combination style guns in this country? I know they're indeed very popular in Countries such as Germany and Austria, although they do have a different hunting style to us. It sounds like something I'd like to maybe add to my cabinet.
    Combi's & Drillings are very popular over here in scandinavia, especially for hunting roe deer with small dogs where you are also permitted to use the shotgun.

    I have a combi in 12 / 7X57R and I'm very happy with it, it's only a cheap mass produced Sabatti but it's shooting into an inch at 100 meters with ease, it has the rifle barrel welded to the shotgun barrel so after a several quick shots it can begin to shoot high. You can also get them with a free floating rifle barrel but I prefer the look and the sturdiness of the attached. I prefer it to my rifle when out stalking as if something else should present itself, a hare, grouse or capercaille should present itself I can have a go with the shotgun barrel. I have a 1.5-6x42 scope mounted on mine and you can still take birds on the wing with it, you just need to practice a bit on clays to get used to it.

    As for ammunition, I know that Sellior & Bellot and PPU Prvi Partizan load in these calibers at reasonable prices and the brass isn't too bad either, Norma also load but over here in Norway they are really expensive. Regarding the dies, I know for the 7X57R you can use the ordinary 7X57 not sure if that applies to the other "R" calibers though.

    I see on guntrader there are several up for sale.

    Here's a few pics of mine:















    Go on, buy one
    Jonathan

    My Hunting Blog: click here


  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonher View Post
    Combi's & Drillings are very popular over here in scandinavia, especially for hunting roe deer with small dogs where you are also permitted to use the shotgun.

    I have a combi in 12 / 7X57R and I'm very happy with it, it's only a cheap mass produced Sabatti but it's shooting into an inch at 100 meters with ease, it has the rifle barrel welded to the shotgun barrel so after a several quick shots it can begin to shoot high. You can also get them with a free floating rifle barrel but I prefer the look and the sturdiness of the attached. I prefer it to my rifle when out stalking as if something else should present itself, a hare, grouse or capercaille should present itself I can have a go with the shotgun barrel. I have a 1.5-6x42 scope mounted on mine and you can still take birds on the wing with it, you just need to practice a bit on clays to get used to it.

    As for ammunition, I know that Sellior & Bellot and PPU Prvi Partizan load in these calibers at reasonable prices and the brass isn't too bad either, Norma also load but over here in Norway they are really expensive. Regarding the dies, I know for the 7X57R you can use the ordinary 7X57 not sure if that applies to the other "R" calibers though.

    I see on guntrader there are several up for sale.

    Here's a few pics of mine:















    Go on, buy one

    Thanks for the info, Johner. That's a real nice looking rifle you've got there. I'm going to Sweeden soon to visit family and I'm going to spend a great deal looking around various gunshops, just to get a good idea of what's avalible.

  8. #8
    Yes Johner the dies for 8x57js (8mm Mauser or 7.92x57) are also used for the rimmed version but with a different shell holder. The loading data isn't interchangeable because break action guns are normally loaded to lower pressures the actions being less strong than a bolt action.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    Thanks for the info, Johner. That's a real nice looking rifle you've got there. I'm going to Sweeden soon to visit family and I'm going to spend a great deal looking around various gunshops, just to get a good idea of what's avalible.
    No problem, I'm sure they'll be plenty to check out in Sweden, you should try and squeeze in some hunting whilst your over there. If your ever over in Oslo let me know and we can grab a beer and talk hunting.

    Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Yes Johner the dies for 8x57js (8mm Mauser or 7.92x57) are also used for the rimmed version but with a different shell holder. The loading data isn't interchangeable because break action guns are normally loaded to lower pressures the actions being less strong than a bolt action.
    Thats a good point regarding the load data, something I totally forgot to mention.
    Jonathan

    My Hunting Blog: click here


  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    If it is an R calibre, you will basically have to handload as ammo is not that widely available. You may also have to get the dies from overseas - not difficult with the internet. But other than that was surprised at how straightforward reloading actually is.
    The R on 7X65R etc refers to `rimmed` as combinations work on the same principal as DB shotguns.
    For many years I used a Merkel O/U in 7X65R calibre, at that time the RWS ammo was `Berdan` primed but now it has the normal `Boxer` primers which makes reloading much easier.
    For a time I also had a detachable sidelock Kreighoff `Neptun Primus` in 8X72R calibre. This had 3 barrels,the left being a fully choked 16 bore, the right and underside barrels were both 8X72R.
    The rear trigger operated the left 16 bore barrel and the front one fired both rifle barrels in succession. By pushing this trigger forward it became a `set trigger` for delicate shots using the bottom barrel.
    A superior quality piece but much too heavy for mountain hunting although I did shoot some mountain Reds with it.
    BRNO used to make a budget priced O/U with 12 bore and 7X57R barrels

    HWH.

Similar Threads

  1. Drillings and Combination Guns
    By Heym SR20 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 07-01-2011, 22:45
  2. SGC vs FAC with a combination gun
    By Bavarianbrit in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 26-10-2010, 15:20
  3. Does anyone here use a combination gun?
    By njc110381 in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 14-11-2009, 16:54
  4. Combination Gun - have got it
    By Heym SR20 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-08-2009, 07:45
  5. opinions on this combination !
    By leec6.5 in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-06-2009, 22:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •