Thread: Sika kidneys

Sika kidneys

Hi Morena

I dropped a Sika last night and when gralloching BOTH kidneys had small dark lumps all over it about 5mm in dia. Any idea what it might be?
    Last edited by Rangefinder; 05-11-2010 at 13:26. Reason: updated

Quote Originally Posted by Rangefinder View Post
    Hi Morena

I dropped a Sika last night and when gralloching BOTH kidneys had small dark lumps all over it about 5mm in dia. Any idea what it might be?

Any pictures? I take it the rest of the carcass was in good shape? They could be small infarcts - blood clots- these can occur as an incidental finding after death. was there any delay between shot and death? They can be a sign of widespread infection so you should check the carcass well. Did it set OK?

Apart from the kidneys everything else checked out fine Buchan. I have saw something similar before [only once] I think its water retention [in a roe doe] but I forget the latin for it . Observed them both all normal, then shot her [classic engine room shot placement], she ran about 40mtrs towards me and dropped dead so nothing out of the unusual really. She had a calf with her which I took as well but there was nothing to report from the calf.

By water retention I take it you mean hydronephrosis - where the kidney becomes enlarged and the medulla (middle bit) contains a lot of fluid.

If all else was normal, then nothing particualry drastic springs to mind.

I'll see about some pictures if I can.