Leica 8x56 rangefinder bins

Taystalker

Thinking of buying a pair of 8x56 leica rangefinder bins anyone know the difference between the HD and the non HD other than £200 price difference

Don't they are not up to much. I had a pair if 15X56 in yards... rubbish and offloaded them quickly... get a pair of LRF1200 in yards and a pair of Swarovski 8.5X42's and you will not be let down. The Leica RFB are hopeless in low light.

bin using the new hd leica 8x42 for months and have used and owned swarovski and they are fine in low light conditions no problems.They are also one of the fastest to range find out of them all

I've had a pair of 8x42 Geovids for nearly 2 years I can only recommend them. I had them serviced this year and they came back (about 6weeks) with new HD object lens, new battery cover, new full set of rubber lens covers all free of charge. The HD is supposed to offer better light quality and reduce misting, but my eyes aren't good enough to notice. My advice would be test both aets and pick the one you like.

As to light gathering, I feel they are a match to my friends Swar and Zeiss, granted when I look at the same deer through my 8x56 scope it is a lot lighter but it should be?

The Zeiss range finders I've not looked through but they are getting good reviews so before you part with that amount of money look and handle as many differnt pairs/makes/magnifications as you can.

Jon

i have a pair of 10x42 HD`s and the only reasons i bought those are ;

better than the zeiss (all the people i know who had them got rid)

needed a pair of bins with range finder when taking out clients on the hill for reds.

i would of bought the swaravision but did not want to carry a range finder as well , i would say one thing is it is correct that they are not as good as you would want in fading light. I will keep these until swarovski fetch a pair out with the built in rangefinder.

I've had a pair of 8x42 Geovids for nearly 2 years I can only recommend them. I had them serviced this year and they came back (about 6weeks) with new HD object lens, new battery cover, new full set of rubber lens covers all free of charge. The HD is supposed to offer better light quality and reduce misting, but my eyes aren't good enough to notice. My advice would be test both aets and pick the one you like.

As to light gathering, I feel they are a match to my friends Swar and Zeiss, granted when I look at the same deer through my 8x56 scope it is a lot lighter but it should be?

The Zeiss range finders I've not looked through but they are getting good reviews so before you part with that amount of money look and handle as many differnt pairs/makes/magnifications as you can.

Jon

Cheers Jon, getting somewhere to look and handle isn't easy other than gamefair but thats a long way off. I've got swarovski 7x42 and leica rangefinder at the moment but fancy the combined job really wondering if the hd is worth the extra £200

Cheers Jon, getting somewhere to look and handle isn't easy other than gamefair but thats a long way off. I've got swarovski 7x42 and leica rangefinder at the moment but fancy the combined job really wondering if the hd is worth the extra £200

I've went to North Ayrshire Shooting and looked at scopes at dusk ( you can take them outside ) they used to be open late on Wed or Thursday. I'm sure they do Leica worth a call.

I've got the non HD and Pierre on here has the HD version.

We put them side-by-side one day, admittedly on a decent day but with some shaded woodland visible, and the HD seemed a bit more colourful/vivid if anything but you really had to look for the difference.

They both ranged exactly the same as well, we both got 1013 yards to the number boards on Stickledown at Bisley.

Cheers,

Phil

Tay

I hope the following helps you in making a decision

I had the same set up as you several years ago ie Swaro 7x42 SLC's and a Leica LRF 800.

I also wanted both pieces of equipment combined so bought a pair of Leica BRF's 8x42 the non HD version as the HD version wasn't out then.

I still have the Swaro bino's and just last night my brother and I were comparing them at last light whilst foxing and I couldn't tell any difference between either. My brother reckoned the Liecas were ever so slightly better in low light.

So I would say if benchmarking against your current set up you will not be any worse off with the non HD versions and if anything you might find them ever so slightly better.

Also bearing in mind the swaros are 7 power and the leicas were 8 just as a point of reference to note during my low light test last night

thanks

jb

ive got the 8x42s and they are great,compared with the h d version outside shop and 2 of us could see no difference,tested again my ziess and are just same in low light but the 8 power is better on open hill. They must be good as 4 of us who stalk together have now bought them.

I had a pair new in June, I kept them 30 days and traded them for something else (which are brilliant)
In my opinion they were rubbish, I had a pair of swaro slc before & they knocked the leica tat into a cocked hat for clarity, and on top of that they only have a 5 year guarantee, 5 years for a piece of kit costing £1700,
PS made in Portugal, they should stick to dark red alcohol!

If you spend £1600 on a pair of RF binos you are going to look stupid coming on here and admitting they are crap.. well i did and they were crap and i did well to get a good resale on them.

Back