Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: adive is this a medal buck??

Advice is this a medal buck??

Hi i wanted to pick your brains and get some advice on a Roe Buck i shot back in April. I had an invite off a friend who rents a farm up Wiltshire. The week before id been for a day with West Country Deer Services to try and bag a buck. I did manage a buck but it was tiny with little stubs for antlers and it cost 215 We'd seen loads of buck through the day nothing big but he was saying they'll be medals next year for every buck we seen and he wanted a 500 cull fee for an average size buck Anyway my friend offered an evening up the farm he rents so i jumped at the chance he said to bring my rifle as he'd leave his at home. At the farm we stalked to the bottom of the farm but didn't see any deer but plenty of fresh slots on the ground we got to the bottom of the farm were there's a small wood and a fallen tree to sit on 140 yards away from the wood. About 30 mins had passed when i was tapped on the shoulder he said one is out the rifle was set on the bipod ready so i droped down behind the rifle looked at the buck through the scope it was acracker i looked back at my friend thinking he'd say leave that one but he said bang it Crack the buck droped on the spot we went out to check it what a beast in my eye's. He said it might be worth getting it checked to see if it's a medal and it only cost me 20 diesel happy days. The head weighs 450 grams dry after a nostril cut whats your thoughts.
    Last edited by redthunder; 06-11-2010 at 11:39.

Hers a couple of photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 1466 (Small).jpg   Picture 1489.jpg  

Nearly impossible to tell by looking at the pictures.

A bronze medal will need a dry net weight of at least 365 grammes and a volume of at least 150 ccs.
    A silver will require a dry net weight of at least 420 grammes and a volume of at least 165 ccs.
    A gold requires a weight of 480 grammes and a volume of 200 ccs.

Volume is as important as weight, also span and aesthetics are important factors too.

Why didn't you leave the head as full skull? By cutting it you risk a lot

redthunder

You cant beat good mates like that buddy..

What a result
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

As has already been said it is difficult to say from the photos however I would say you are looking at a medal buck there. The coronets seems especially large and the head does have good height. Deffo get it measured in my opinion.

Lakey

Looks like a bronze medal to me.

Should make a bronze,depending on the deduction for cut.Cracking coronets,but average pearling and poor colour.Not good to see span from pic but could be 3 points and R and Q is 3ish.Looks quite thick so volume could be quite good.If you dip it for volume you will have a better idea.

Quote Originally Posted by sako751sg View Post
    Should make a bronze,depending on the deduction for cut.Cracking coronets,but average pearling and poor colour.Not good to see span from pic but could be 3 points and R and Q is 3ish.Looks quite thick so volume could be quite good.If you dip it for volume you will have a better idea.
    How deep do i dip the antlers is to were the coronets meet the skull ??

Hmm thanks for the heads up on West Country Deer Services as I also book days and it's good to hear of the bad as well as the good so I can avoid the bad ones.

Quote Originally Posted by redthunder View Post
    How deep do i dip the antlers is to were the coronets meet the skull ??
    Dip the coronets as much as possible without water going over the underside of them.If they are sloping you might have to adjust the dip a bit and you should get a rough score.