Thread: RTA

RTA

Got a call this morning from one of my stalking landlords asking if l could come over and dispatch a roe involved in an RTA,
    l was told that it was a doe and the location of the animal, so obviously at this time of year there was probably a fawn or fawns to consider so should l take the dogs that are still in training.
    Well l decided against taking the dogs and of we went, a quick call in the farm to check the location and within 5 mins the unfortunate animal was out of its misery.
    The animal turned out to be a buck which was a relief, it had been hit at the back end resulting in a smashed rear leg and it also suffered internal damage.
    The nearest road was half a mile away it had travelled across a meadow through or over a ditch, through a hedge and down a wheat field finally collapsing in a small spinney
    It looked like this beast had sustained its injuries during the night and had been in the spinney a few hours, it never ceases to amaze me how much punishment these animals can take.

Good job well done. Its not suffering anymore and that is the main thing.

Well done there, I got called out to a fallow doe the other week, after dispatching the animal I latter found she had a broken spine, pelvis, both back legs and broken ribs but still was alive.

Best rgds

Tahr

Agree they can take a lot of punishment!

Earlier this year I took a buck, which when I skinned it, I found was carrying a .17HMR round embedded intact in its leg, which had obviously been there for some considerable time, as the wound was fully skinned over. It wasn't even limping!

nice job there monynut
    i hav done quite a few RTA's , usualy a phone call from a mate or local farmer, as they know i will take the carcass with me, not yet managed to get on the west mids police register but what you did even though sad sight to see , was a good thing

l have been stalking a good few years now and over the years l have only had to deal with probably a dozen to fifteen RTA's a few of them are ones l have found myself late at night returning home from an evenings lamping.

Never a nice job especially this time of year when it involves the female of the species.

Quote Originally Posted by Roe Hunter
    Agree they can take a lot of punishment!

Earlier this year I took a buck, which when I skinned it, I found was carrying a .17HMR round embedded intact in its leg, which had obviously been there for some considerable time, as the wound was fully skinned over. It wasn't even limping!
    In the past l have found .22 rims in muntjac sitting just under the skin, bloody unbelievable what some people will do.