7x57 ammunition

Nope and I doubt anyone will be able to as each and every barrel is a law unto itself in what it likes.

Sorry the only way really is to try a few and see.

Of course if Proctor can tell you who made the barrel it might help a bit as others might have that make and can tell what theirs like.

140 grainers in my BSA royal/hunter will do one hole at 100yds with nosler accubonds, slightly less with partitions, and will knock deer over on the spot with partions, only used speer hot core in Africa but no problems. deerwarden.

Hi
Used to have a CZ that performed well with 139 grain soft point Hornady with H380 powder. As above every ones different so once you have found the right make up, enjoy the calibre. I was told originally 7x57 was used in the Boer war and the rifle was used to lob 180 grain bullets onto the enemy with great effect.
ATB Paul

Hi
Used to have a CZ that performed well with 139 grain soft point Hornady with H380 powder. As above every ones different so once you have found the right make up, enjoy the calibre. I was told originally 7x57 was used in the Boer war and the rifle was used to lob 180 grain bullets onto the enemy with great effect.
ATB Paul

Hmmm the 7mm Mauser was first used in the model 1892 then 1893 and adopted by the Spanish who used it when they beat the Americans in Cuba? (Spanish American war) with it quite well. This in itself led tho the development and adoption of the Springfield rifle.

The Boers brought M93 amd Model 1895 Mausers in 7x57 and DWM along with Loewe was a main source for them. The original bullet was a round nosed cupro-nicklet jacketed bullet of 173 grains. I have just weighed two original bullets from this period, just the bullets, the one with the red base weighs 172.8 grains the other with the lead showing weighs 174.4 grains. I have heard it said that the bullet weight was 175 grains as well. These bullet came from 1897 head stamped ammunition on which the cases were cracking with age and poor storage so the bullets were pulled adn the rest disposed of.

A nice collector in the US who did this sent me about 300 of them to experiment with in my DWM M93 Boer mauser:-

9877161.jpg

9877134.jpg

3107633.jpg

3107647.jpg

Windage adjustable protected fore sight.

This is the deluxe model for the wealthy "Burgher" which is know as a "Plezier rifle" the normal Commando if he could afford a Mauser would have had one of these:-

3183712.jpg

Or the long rifle version. The carbines were popular in the Transvaal but not it seems in the OVS (Orange Free Sate) who didn't order any carbines.

Hope that helps a little ;)

Back