Thread: What A Morning

What A Morning

Well, I tipped up on the estate this morning at about 06:dark and waited for it to get light enough to start a stalk. I'd only just finished a night shift, so I knew this wasn't going to be a long session. It just so happens that I have to drive directly past this area, so thought I'd drop in.
    I know for a fact there are three does resident on this little patch of the farm, (a doe and kid, and a doe who either didn't have a kid this year or it didn't survive) so I was fairly confident that it'd be a productive outing.
    First off was a good omen, me pulling up, getting out of the car, getting ready and beginning my stalk hadn't frightened off a fox that was stooging around one of the pheasant feeders. Unfortunately the A47 was in the very near background so I couldn't shoot. I waited for it to go into the wood and then carried on..
    Anyway I'd got right to the far end of the meadow and not seen hide nor hair of a deer, any further and I'd be off my patch, so I turned round to stalk back down the other side of it and return to the car. Just then it started to rain. Big phat drops, and in no time I was soaking. Just as I got back to the car all three does broke cover from a hedgerow not 50 yards away and ran off over my boundary. Had they been there all the time, or had they only occupied that position while I was busy looking for them at the other end of the meadow? Either way I'd got soaked for nothing, so I drove home to get a few hours kip.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Ah! That kind of thing happens, doesn't it? At least you got out! I have had almost the opposite problem: Unseasonably warm! I was going to hit a local crek-bottom on Saturday but the temps were up to about 70F. Not deer hunting weather. Tomorrow I leave for Mexico and I'll have 2 weeks to get my Montana deer after that. BUT! In that same time period I have to use my South Dakota whitetail deer tag which is 8 hours drive east of me. I think I'll be busy for the next three weeks...~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Ah! That kind of thing happens, doesn't it? At least you got out! I have had almost the opposite problem: Unseasonably warm! I was going to hit a local crek-bottom on Saturday but the temps were up to about 70F. Not deer hunting weather. Tomorrow I leave for Mexico and I'll have 2 weeks to get my Montana deer after that. BUT! In that same time period I have to use my South Dakota whitetail deer tag which is 8 hours drive east of me. I think I'll be busy for the next three weeks...~Muir
    That kind of busy I could live with Good luck filling your tags mate.
    Venison's running low in my freezer at the moment. I don't mind a blank outing if the carcass is going to the game dealer, but it's frustrating when you want it for vittles.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.