Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bore Snakes.

Bore Snakes.

I've heard reports of the cords breaking on bore snakes and leaving the snake stuck in the barrel. I've put a length of 25lb fishing line through the end loop to use as a back up if this happens to me.

Speaking to Callum at a best practice he says he loves them. He makes more money out of bore snakes than anything else. As often as not it is a barrel replacement job when they break. I doubt 25lb would move a jammed boresnake.
    Jim

I got mine out by tying it to the truck then I pulled on the rifle while my mate stood behind waiting to catch me if it had snapped. Great kit...not! JC

I've heard loads of different reports on Bore Snakes, some good and some bad, but i have never used one myself so will someone tell me if having them snap while in the barrel is a common problem and are they really worth using please?

Sounds more like the wrong calibre snake to me!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Used them in 22-250, .243, .270 and .308, no problems so far. If I now snap one off in my barrel over the next couple of days, I'll not be too impressed after typing this post. I'd be soaking it in meths and setting fire to it to get it out. (Would that work I wonder).

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

So guys, which manufacturer of Boresnake? Lots of them out there...

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Sounds more like the wrong calibre snake to me!
    My thoughts exactly. Mine was stamped as the correct calibre but I don't think it was. Looking back, I don't know why I wanted one anyway, doesn't do a 'proper' clean, doesn't remove an obstruction such as a bullet stuck in the chamber or a muzzle plugged with mud and if you just want to pull a bit of dry 4x2 through after a damp stalk then a piece of string will do. JC

Quote Originally Posted by tartinjock View Post
    Used them in 22-250, .243, .270 and .308, no problems so far. If I now snap one off in my barrel over the next couple of days, I'll not be too impressed after typing this post. I'd be soaking it in meths and setting fire to it to get it out. (Would that work I wonder).

TJ
    Dont know if it wouild work but if it happened to me id be trying it before paying for a new barrel.

Just a thought but does getting boresnakes stuck have anything to do with trying to pull it out from the wrong direction? I know that normal bore brushes aren't very good if you try to reverse direction mid-barrel... ?