Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: muntjac prancing?

muntjac prancing?

hi guys do munti ever prance/bounce on all legs when startled?
    almost stamping on all fours?

Muntjac don't pronk, well I've never seen them do it! If they are in cover they are likely to stand and bark , stamping one of their forelegs and if the threat is too great they will run off tail erect. When they are deep in cover they can bark for some considerable time.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington 700 View Post
    Muntjac don't pronk, well I've never seen them do it! If they are in cover they are likely to stand and bark , stamping one of their forelegs and if the threat is too great they will run off tail erect. When they are deep in cover they can bark for some considerable time.
    its called pronk is it ,cool
    what i spotted was in the open ,but it was getting dark im just trying to work out what it might of been

From your description I think you mean how a fallow sometimes reacts when startled and kind of "prances" off.
    I didnt know initially that muntjac did do this but I have seen it on a number of occasions. Seems to happen when they have seen something rather than sensed (heard or smelt) something that they dont like.

Quote Originally Posted by pwolstenholme View Post
    From your description I think you mean how a fallow sometimes reacts when startled and kind of "prances" off.
    I didnt know initially that muntjac did do this but I have seen it on a number of occasions. Seems to happen when they have seen something rather than sensed (heard or smelt) something that they dont like.
    just what i meant ,thats excellent news ,the thing it didnt like was me i was about 40 yards away in the open

Totally agree with remington 700 i have seen one bouncing both front legs like a tether'd dog. he didn't taste any different though.

Quote Originally Posted by niko View Post
    hi guys do munti ever prance/bounce on all legs when startled?
    almost stamping on all fours?
    I would say what you saw if it was a startled munty
    was that it jumped from side to side as it made it's exit not really sure in it's direction just trying to evade you ,
    possibly in longish leaps, more than jumping skywards in a prancing motion and possibly no more than 3 feet high at the most, but at 40 yards in fading light it would be difficult to see

The deer you saw
    How tall would you say it was roughly and could you see the head and neck sticking above it's back as it ran off??

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    I would say what you saw if it was a startled munty
    was that it jumped from side to side as it made it's exit not really sure in it's direction just trying to evade you ,
    possibly in longish leaps, more than jumping skywards in a prancing motion and possibly no more than 3 feet high at the most, but at 40 yards in fading light it would be difficult to see

The deer you saw
    How tall would you say it was roughly and could you see the head and neck sticking above it's back as it ran off??
    it bounced away from me for a few steps maybe 10 to 15 feet stopped looked a me bounced again for a few feet then ran of normaly it was almost the cartoon deer bounce
    i dont remember seeing the head no
    hight wise im not sure at all ,my first thought before it moved was a fox,but when i saw the movement and the length of its legs it definatly wasnt , but it was overall smaller than my gsd whos about 40kgs

Quote Originally Posted by niko View Post
    it bounced away from me for a few steps maybe 10 to 15 feet stopped looked a me bounced again for a few feet then ran of normaly it was almost the cartoon deer bounce
    i dont remember seeing the head no
    hight wise im not sure at all ,my first thought before it moved was a fox,but when i saw the movement and the length of its legs it definatly wasnt , but it was overall smaller than my gsd whos about 40kgs
    Yep
    Sure what you saw was a fallow deer

at that distance in fading light it probably did look fox size as stuff in dark always looks smaller
    and it probably did look like it made about 10-15 feet, but in reality it made that with every step , so with a few steps it was a lot further
    as for not seeing the head is quite confusing
    as you say it stopped and looked at you, how would you know that if you could not see the head???

as for weight comparison , makes no odds
    at that distance you would need to of sat your dog out at the same distance just after you saw the deer so you could still get a size comparison in your head
    out of interest what area did you see the said deer and any other distinguishing features did you notice apart from it acting like a fallow

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    Yep
    Sure what you saw was a fallow deer

at that distance in fading light it probably did look fox size as stuff in dark always looks smaller
    and it probably did look like it made about 10-15 feet, but in reality it made that with every step , so with a few steps it was a lot further
    as for not seeing the head is quite confusing
    as you say it stopped and looked at you, how would you know that if you could not see the head???

as for weight comparison , makes no odds
    at that distance you would need to of sat your dog out at the same distance just after you saw the deer so you could still get a size comparison in your head
    out of interest what area did you see the said deer and any other distinguishing features did you notice apart from it acting like a fallow
    hi mate ,i thought you where asking if i could see the head while it was moving ,i only saw it when it stopped and looked at me ,
    it didnt make 10 -15 with every step as i know this land like the back of my hand and know the ranges on it well this is why i know the rough size as well ive shot foxes in the same place
    features not really ,ill pm you with the area it was in as id rather not post it
    cheers nik