Left and a Right on Driven Birds. Why Doesn't Anyone Believe me?

Joshua

So last year I was really lucky to go on a gameshoot, and the first drive of the day was the wild duck drive. I got to shoot this instead of beating and my first two shots of the day brought down two ducks: a left and a right at about 45-50 yards. Everyone I've told so far either doesn't believe me or has called me an outright liar!

Is the so called 'left and right' on driven birds that rare? Someone told me it took them almost 40 years to get a left and right like that on driven birds and no one would do it on their first shoot, let alone with their first two cartridges against wild duck.

The gamekeeper witnessed my shooting that day and I'm thinking of asking him to sign something to prove it, what do you think?

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section:doh:

Last edited:
Does it matter what other people think? If you know that you got it then does that not suffice?

Hi josh
It is not that rare for a left and a right when game shooting if you are in a good spot on a drive but it is still agreat achivement to do it and well done.
Two years ago i did it shooting woodcock on a walkabout on some of the land i shoot on only problem was that there was just my dog with me to prove what i had done so no woodcock club for me yet!!! some people wait a life time for a left and right at woodcock I just hope if it happen's a again to me that i have a couple of witnesse's next time ?? if not i know what i did and thats all that maters to me.:cool:

Bob

Hi josh
It is not that rare for a left and a right when game shooting if you are in a good spot on a drive but it is still agreat achivement to do it and well done.
Two years ago i did it shooting woodcock on a walkabout on some of the land i shoot on only problem was that there was just my dog with me to prove what i had done so no woodcock club for me yet!!! some people wait a life time for a left and right at woodcock I just hope if it happen's a again to me that i have a couple of witnesse's next time ?? if not i know what i did and thats all that maters to me.:cool:

Bob

I'm probally just whinging a bit lol, but a left and right on woodcock is just brilliant! I hope you do it again with a witness present.

Nice shooting.....I believe you.....If its achievable its possible thats all I can say on the matter. Nice to get a left and right no matter what your shooting. My mate has regularly had a left forwards and right when weve been out shooting Pigeons using his Beretta 3 shot. If they dont believe you its becasue they cant shoot and dont think its possible.

Aye its not that rare, depends how much shooing you do, the more you do the more chance you will succeed, ive had plenty of left n rights over the years, but my favorite has been this year with two lots of left-middle-right on geese on the same flight. :D

Hope you enjoyed the moment,It will not happen all the time at 45..to..50 yards.
Well done..

on the first drive on saturday, I had a right and left at pigeon, one dropped behind me over a ditch, the other fluttered down a hundred yards away, I sent the dogs, the big pup picked the closest, came back to the ditch and ate the bloody thing.

The one left and right which evaded me for ages was pheasant, because the kind of shoots I frequent rarely have more than one bird in the air at a time, in fact I think I have taken only one or two L&R's at pheasant out of hundreds shot.

With flocking species it is much easier to achieve, just concentrate on one bird at a time, you cannot get a double if you miss the first.

I saw a left and right on a driven Pheasant day a couple of weeks ago.

They were Magpies though :)

There were certainly a few opportunities for left/right combos with the birds going over us, I'm just not that good with a shottie yet!

Cheers,

Phil

On the first drive of my frst ever driven pheasant day I brought down a fantastic high cock bird with the first shot with my new (to me) AYA sbs. On the next drive I scored my first ever left & right.

I havent shot worth a w**k since :rofl::rofl:

A friend of mine hit a crow at 172 yards with my HMR...tbh I wouldn't have believed him if I hadn't stood over the crow with a rangefinder looking back to him.

Your best shots that you treasure the most are usually the ones that others will try and put down.

...did I mention I shot a black rabbit last night.

its not uncommon for a left and right to be honest especialy on pigeon's . great feeling thou each time it happens .

A right and left at driven game is not unusual if you get in the right spot and there's no reason not to believe that you did this. A right and left at woodcock is rare for two reasons, getting two woodcock in the air over you at one time isn't that common and then you've got to hit the little beggars which is very challenging.

I had a chance once but the first flew for a fair way before dropping and through watching it I was too late getting on the other.

I've had loads of left and rights. On Thursday past I had a left at 10.35 and a right at 12.20 :lol: :lol:

Back