Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Word of warning to head shooters.

Word of warning to head shooters.

I am not a fan of head shooting more a heart/lung man myself although I accept that in certain conditions it is necessary. As some of you know I use my GWP to track not only for myself but also for other members of my syndicates.

I had to use my GWP on Sunday morning to track a doe kid, the animal was head shot and went straight down but got to its feet and walked off, “not looking right” my first thoughts was a pulled neck shot or possibly a jaw shot. My dog found the doe in a dry ditch on the clear fell about 150 yards from were it was shot still very much alive. I dispatched the deer and at first could not see were it had been shot. The only clue was a small bit of blood above and behind the eye, as I looked closer I saw a small hole and another matching hole the other side of the head. Once the head had been skinned it became apparent that the bullet had gone straight though the skull cavity, but it must of left most of the brain intact allowing the animal to walk off, how long it would of survived I don’t know.

The bullet was a 243 95gn Ballistic tip, the deer was about 40 yards away, but I guess that the young does skull was still “green” so it did not fragment like a older animal might.

I guess even if you head shoot everything you still might need a dog some times and just because the animal left the scene does not mean you have missed.

Has anybody else seen this before?

ATB

Tahr

Im a big fan of neck shooting Sika..

But as for head shots...

I bet i sleep easy a lot more nights than them that take head shots....

Heeeeeeere we go again...
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Thar,

well done for sharing your story mate.
    delighted you managed to finish the job quickly.

f.

amazing how how tough animals can be i have not seen anything like this , the nail does give a good repersentation of the bullets flight path and postion the skull doesnt look that damaged at all ...neil

Sorry Thar, but in my opinion all this proves is bullet failure. A .243 Ballistic Tip striking an animal at 40yds does not need hardened bone to cause it to explode.

I have had bullets failing to expand on red deer when shot in the chest. Granted, after a while they fell over but in the larder the wound channel was exactly as you have described here, right through the lungs and absolutely no expansion.

Having said that I don't want to take anything away from your interesting experience.

What a fantastic set of pics

But my first impressions were you that you used a nail gun...

Funnily enough I don't do side on head shots , but I do side on neck shots thou
    I wonder what the effects would of been if you had taken the same shot forward facing

But to be fair you took the shot, Deer showed signs of a hit and you followed up successfully

Hi Neil

It was high, I though at first before the head had been skinned that it might have been a grazing shoot without entering the brain cavity itself, I will take some side on photo if you wish.

ATB

Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Sorry Thar, but in my opinion all this proves is bullet failure. A .243 Ballistic Tip striking an animal at 40yds does not need hardened bone to cause it to explode.
    No need to apologise, I agree the bullet failed but my point is that even with head shots you might still need to follow up, although this is the first time I have ever seen anything like this, normally it is eyes popped out etc.

ATB

Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Thar View Post
    No need to apologise, I agree the bullet failed but my point is that even with head shots you might still need to follow up, although this is the first time I have ever seen anything like this, normally it is eyes popped out etc.

ATB

Tahr
    Yep, the Marty Feldman look is always a good sign...

Tahr
    dont put yourself out with the pic's but it proves the more you shoot the more lucky/unlucky you get and the more bizarre things you will experience and come across.

even if you were shooting non expanding ammo (i know not allowed) who would of thought that a bullet going at prob 2800-2900fps passing through a skull alone would cause massive overpressure to cerebral brain fluid and put the deer down let alone it striking the brain and the bullet damage there . ...neil