Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reamer finally arrives but no factory ammo available it seems

Reamer finally arrives but no factory ammo available it seems

Im the mail yesterday morning was the PTG .280 AI chamber reamer ordered from Midway. Luckily the reamer is fine but due to poor packing the reamer was rattling around in the bottom of the padded bag and not in it's protective plastic tube. The post office had managed to crush the tube end and so break it allowing the reamer to come out.

No sign of the go and no-go gauges as yet. they were coming from the manufacturer in the US so have to chase them up.

Meanwhile the .280 Remington factory federal Ammunition I ordered has not arrived. it seems that no one at Edgar Brothers ordered it from the US so alternative sources will ahve to be sort. At this rate it will be Easter before the bits come together.

Anyway once the gauges DO FINALLY ARRIVE we can proceed.

Aahhhhh, the Royal Mail, bless them I hope it all gets sorted soon Brit!

Best of British, ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Try GMK i think fedral make 280 ammo.There number is 01489 587500
    SEAN

Hi

.280 ammo is listed by many manafacturers such as Hornady, Remington, Federal, Norma, and I'm sure others too. Tim Hannam in leeds may be worth a call as a hornady importer, otherwise I would try midway uk as they are listing 280 rem brass as available as well as nosler 280 ackley 40 deg brass off the shelf. Reloading solutions direct may be worth trying.

Cheers

S

Thanks for the suggestions. My local RFD has been trying to order some but it seems with little success. It also appears that in this shooting backwater I am the first person to ask for .280 Remington ammunition is 25 years. Sadly places like Hannam are too far away to go and collect a box of ammunition and we only need one box for function testing and test firing. Once it's finished and blued after proof it will live on a diet of hand-loads.

Oh well it seems someone does not want me to complete this project. The gauges arrived this morning or rather the No-Go arrived the invioce was there fro two but the package had been ripped open and a plain white sticky label used to re-seal it and the Go gauge is missing.

It looks like someone has nicked the guage for some reason. The Post office don't want to know and putting a complaint in is not straight forwards. Cannot make it too easy for us the customers!. So I have to order another go gauge at more cost unless i cna work out a way to get around the missing go gauge.

Ho-Hum.
    Last edited by Brithunter; 13-11-2010 at 16:09. Reason: removed photo with address in.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. My local RFD has been trying to order some but it seems with little success. It also appears that in this shooting backwater I am the first person to ask for .280 Remington ammunition is 25 years. Sadly places like Hannam are too far away to go and collect a box of ammunition and we only need one box for function testing and test firing. Once it's finished and blued after proof it will live on a diet of hand-loads.
    why would you need factory rounds for testing,why not make some?
    atb paul

We as handloaders do not normally have the inspection equipment to check that the shoulder is in the correct place. We usually rely upon the chamber of our rifles to tell us if the shoulder is to far forwards. If too far back the shoulder forms to our chamber upon firing. As I am creating the chamber by reaming it the factory ammunition is another check. Doing an Ackley Improved following Ackleys instructions the chamber is reamed 0.004" short so a factory round should be pinched at the junction of the shoulder/neck which aligns the cartridge in the improved chamber.

As the package was ripped open and the Go-gauge either stolen or lost I cannot use it to chamber 0.004" short my only option is to work out the limits or look them up and chamber using the No-Gauge the 0.004" short plus the limit BUT a factory round or several of them are required to do a function check.

Then a few factory rounds can be fired to check that the chamber is reamed correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    We as handloaders do not normally have the inspection equipment to check that the shoulder is in the correct place. We usually rely upon the chamber of our rifles to tell us if the shoulder is to far forwards. If too far back the shoulder forms to our chamber upon firing. As I am creating the chamber by reaming it the factory ammunition is another check. Doing an Ackley Improved following Ackleys instructions the chamber is reamed 0.004" short so a factory round should be pinched at the junction of the shoulder/neck which aligns the cartridge in the improved chamber.

As the package was ripped open and the Go-gauge either stolen or lost I cannot use it to chamber 0.004" short my only option is to work out the limits or look them up and chamber using the No-Gauge the 0.004" short plus the limit BUT a factory round or several of them are required to do a function check.

Then a few factory rounds can be fired to check that the chamber is reamed correctly.
    yes i understand how an ackley chamber works [i have 3],but wouldn't a round made with factory brass [made to sammi specs] also work?
    atb paul

A cartridge made to SAMMI specs would work of course but as I do not have acess to an optical compartor (Shadow graph) to check the position of this important measurement, neck/shoulder junction, and it's possible to get teh dies incorrectly set which would mean it would give a false reading I am left with relying upon the cartridge makers to do the inspection properly. Not ideal but it's the best I have.

Normally we adjust the dies to suit our rifles but again I do not yet have a chamber to do this too. Buying some new brass might work but might is not good enough for this. It has to be right. Most people size new brass so you introducing the risk of once again pushing the shoulder back. I am just trying to reduce the possiblitly of varibles and to this end I even started looking around for a S/H Shadow graph. Was shocked at the prices they still fetch especially when there must be thousands out there gatherign dust no longer beign used. I know of one but I bet if I approach them about it the price would be far too high.

Also borrowing it's use is not really viable as it's located 13 milea away.