Thread: .243 choices

.243 choices

Right, the .243 piggy bank is about full and figure I'll save myself some VAT by buying before the end of the year.

Not looking to spend masses as I don't have access to lots of stalking opportunites so have figured on around 500 for the rifle.

Pretty much set on a Predator 8 Compact for the moderator but a little torn between 2 rifles:

Browning A-Bolt Composite Stalker or Howa 1500

I've been offered the Browning screwcut brand new for 488 and am probably leaning more towards that, a good choice or is Howa the way to go?
    Browning A-Bolt Composite Stalker .243 - Predator 8 - Schmidt & Bender 6x42
    CZ 452 Silhouette 20" .17HMR - SAK - Pecar Berlin 4-10x50
    CZ 452 Silhouette 16" .22LR - SAK - Pecar Berlin Champion 6x45
    Air Arms S400 Xtra FAC .22 - Leupold M8 6x36
    Verney Carron 12b O/U DTEj

Colster,

I would say for your budget either would be a great choice. I have had a Howa myself in the past that was a very good shooter - generally around the .5/.6 MOA mark for three shot 100 yd groups. I don't have first hand experience of Brownings but have always had a bit of a soft spot for them.

I would say the principal thing to consider between the two is that you'll have a swing down detachable box mag on the A Bolt but a fixed floor plate mag on the Howa. You just need to consider the convenience factor of each option depending on the type of shooting you envisage doing with the rifle.

It's very much a personal thing but in my opinion I believe you are definitely on the right tracks by going synthetic for a stalking rifle. Stainless steel would be even better. For what it's worth I might be tempted by the A Bolt and have it cut M14 spigot if you have a choice. It's not going to loose you much at that sort of money.

Good luck,

Tim

i would also go for the browning purly because i think the build quality is better than the howa both rifles should shoot fine tho and the a-bolts are only so cheap now because anyone looking to buy a new browning is going straight to the x-bolt. i think that for under 500 your getting a dam good deal

On a budget I'd be inclined to go for an older, second hand rifle - something like a well conditioned parker hale or BSA - dirt cheap, fantastically built (by a man in a brown overcoat with a fag handing out his mouth and a file in his hand, rather than churned out of a production line by mexicans on minimum wage)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1 View Post
    Colster,

I would say the principal thing to consider between the two is that you'll have a swing down detachable box mag on the A Bolt but a fixed floor plate mag on the Howa. You just need to consider the convenience factor of each option depending on the type of shooting you envisage doing with the rifle.

It's very much a personal thing but in my opinion I believe you are definitely on the right tracks by going synthetic for a stalking rifle. Stainless steel would be even better. For what it's worth I might be tempted by the A Bolt and have it cut M14 spigot if you have a choice. It's not going to loose you much at that sort of money.

Good luck,

Tim
    I particularly liked the detachable box mag with floor plate on the Browning - sort of best of both worlds.

Can you just explain the bit about the spigot though, I assume the M14 refers to the threading of the screwcut but being a centrefire noob I don't understand the benefit
    Browning A-Bolt Composite Stalker .243 - Predator 8 - Schmidt & Bender 6x42
    CZ 452 Silhouette 20" .17HMR - SAK - Pecar Berlin 4-10x50
    CZ 452 Silhouette 16" .22LR - SAK - Pecar Berlin Champion 6x45
    Air Arms S400 Xtra FAC .22 - Leupold M8 6x36
    Verney Carron 12b O/U DTEj

Colster,

The spigot just helps to locate the mod better on the barrel before you screw it on. The spigot is especially useful if you have an end of barrel mod which because of their weight can be a bit ungainly until you get the first turn or so on. The spigot saves you trying to balance the mod in your hand at the same time you are screwing it round. I believe that having the larger thread also aids in locating the mod on the end of the barrel preventing too much lateral movement and is better than 1/2" UNF in this respect. It's a bit tricky to explain in writing but I hope that's clear enough for you.

Additionally an M14 thread leaves more meat on the barrel than 1/2" UNF which some people will tell you stops the end of the barrel flaring minutely over time affecting accuracy. I have no idea if there is any fact in this and it could be cobblers for all I know but just in case why not go M14?

On a final note, if you do decide on having a spigot cut, on a sporter weight barrel an M14 thread will allow you to have a seamles end cap turned and fitted. If you went any bigger, say to M15 then it's not possible to have a seamless cap fitted as the external diameter of the spigot would probably be close to the internal diameter of the end cap. To ensure there is enough thickness to the sides of the cap there would be a step of say 20 thou or so.

That last paragraph may not be clear, it's perhaps one of those things that you have to see in the flesh to understand. Anyway, come back if you have any more questions.

Kind regards,

Tim

Hmmm I would personally much prefer a Unified thread to ANY SI metric one. The limits on the metrics are very generous and allow for sloppy fit even when made to gauges. The Unified threads and Whitworth for that matter fit much better.

The other thing to watch is that not all of us go and buy rifels with heavy barrels. Some will only accept a 1/2" thread and leave enough shoulder for the Moderator to locate up against.

I have been looking around for a .223 and a .243 and have found a browning A bolts (new) in .223 and .243 blued barrels with screw cut at 390.00 and 475 pounds respectively.

Due to the x bolt coming along they are a good buy in anyones money

you could pick up a tikka m595 for that sort of money. there superb in build a great smooth action. i have a spigot thread on my rpa the design of them is good and the main reasom a lot of range shooters have them is safety also. the idea of the spigot is if the mod comes undone the spigot would still keep the mod baffle's inline with the bore.

where if a mod come undone on a normal thread then you would risk a bullet strikeing the baffles in the mod