Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dual purpose target and deer stalking scopes

Dual purpose target and deer stalking scopes

Gentlemen, a vox pop on your thoughts on scopes for dual purpose use at various price brackets.

In terms of dual use I think what I'm after is something with target turrets, a reasonable magnification range, large objective and very importantly good tracking of the windage and elevation adjustments.

I need to find a scope for a heavy barreled Sako that is mainly to be used for target shooting at Bisley out to 1000 yards and may in future be used to pot the odd fallow doe from the highseat.

What's avaliable at in the range of a few hundred quid up to a grand? I have ironically shot with many of the various top brands at my rifle club, but those boys pride themselves on their kit and nobody has anything less than a Nightforce!

I've got a Sightron S3 6-24x50 that does exactly that: not too heavy or expensive (unlike Nightforce), optically very good and tracking is by all accounts excellent... They're about 800 quid or so or less if you buy straight from the US like I did

You're welcome to have a go with it if our paths cross again

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    IOR might suit your needs, various types, built to survive. Adjustable windage and elevation turrets, range use reticules.

>>IOR<<

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

second hand nightforce, choose the ret to suit your discipline. if you choose the np2dd you'll be able to put the dot right between that does eyes, at ranges people are not allowed to shoot deer at!

Quote Originally Posted by Mat View Post
    I've got a Sightron S3 6-24x50 that does exactly that: not too heavy or expensive (unlike Nightforce), optically very good and tracking is by all accounts excellent... They're about 800 quid or so or less if you buy straight from the US like I did

You're welcome to have a go with it if our paths cross again

That would be great mate, I'll be up to see our goat hunting friend at some point.

I'll have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    second hand nightforce, choose the ret to suit your discipline. if you choose the np2dd you'll be able to put the dot right between that does eyes, at ranges people are not allowed to shoot deer at!

You're a bad man.....

A bad man whose thoughts run along similar lines to my own!

Have a look at the Weaver Tactical,,this is should be a SERIOUS contender. You can get it for $649 at http://www.opticsplanet.net/weaver-t...flescopes.html

..as I cannot afford the S&B PMii at the moment, I might go for this as a temporary toy.

Another good compromise could be the zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50
    I'm using one since a while on my main stalking rifle. Which I also use
    for the occasional target shoot.
    Compared to other 20 mag scopes the conquest is very light and I think has better
    glas than NF or Leupold. Very useable at last light.

edi

EJG, are they not more than a grand? I always thought Zeiss were like 1,500-3,000 if you want BDC's, etc.

PKL,
    no I mean the conquest range...the ones that Europeans actually should not own.
    In my opinion the only zeiss scope worth having. (Weight vs performance)
    Available in the US at around 1000 $, I got mine at around 600 Euro when I was over there.
    One can find them second hand here at times.
    The 6.5-20x50 weighs 21oz and has a 1" tube.
    edi