Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal Brass

Federal Brass

Hello all,
    I need some help on a few points. I don't reload and have always used federal factory loads, usually 140 gr power shok and have never had a problem with them. Now my friend has started to reload and has offered to reload the federal brass I have, is federal brass good to reload and can any one suggest a good load recipe for my sauer. I usually shoot reds and the occasional sika.
    Thanks in advance foxyshane.
    Last edited by foxyshane; 11-11-2010 at 10:51.

I am only just starting to get into reloading, but can from my current observations and experience honestly say that I wouldn NEVER trust anyone to reload for me..imagine if they accidentally double-charged a cartridge - BOOOOOOOOM - face is gone...

I get what your saying, and I do trust him but it's going to be a join effort. If it goes well I have every intention of starting myself!

Federal brass is tops.

what caliber of toy are you shooting as it matters. Honest. If you put a 308 140gn into a 270 it wont like it and neither will you. The devil is in the detail.

If you cannot remember it is normally stamped on the barrel in big bold letters.

hope this helps

Colin
    Last edited by dieseldan; 11-11-2010 at 11:49.

Whoops that would help, it's a 6.5x55

Not one I use.

Seems a heavy slug for a 6.5x55 though. trajectory like a rainbow?? Maybe I am wrong I am sure lots use and will assist.

I'll second the Federal brass. I've used it for a while now and have only changed to Winchester due to the availability of it in the local shop.

Good luck with it.

DC

Quote Originally Posted by dieseldan View Post
    Federal brass is tops.

what caliber of toy are you shooting as it matters. Honest. If you put a 308 140gn into a 270 it wont like it and neither will you. The devil is in the detail.

If you cannot remember it is normally stamped on the barrel in big bold letters.

hope this helps

Colin
    i used to use federal power shock in my 6.5x55 , i saved all my brass and when i had a 200 or so i started to reload , they served me well for a long time and i got 7 reloads from them by full sizing but you will get more i would have thought by neck sizing !

cheers lee

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

A 140 grain bullet is mid range weight wise for the 6.5x55. The original weight was 156 grain.

Relader 19, H4350 and I believe Vhit 140 are good powders. I personally used Speer 140 grain bullets but have lately switched to the Hornady 129 grain bullets. Start with the starting loads in a reloadign manual and work up to find the laod that your rifle likes and is safe. The Mauser M96 Slidebolt I had liked the 140's but didn't seem to liek the lighter bullets. The Sporterised Swedish I have shoots the 120's very wella dn the 100 grain bullets with good accuracy. You will have to try to see which weight bullets your barrel likes.

I've never really looked into reloading and having done so I think I've opened a can of worms! There is so much to take in. Can any one suggest a good place to start, books,websites ect?