Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which .308Win, 7mm, or 30-06

Which .308Win, 7mm, or 30-06

So,,,,

I should be getting a slot on my ticket for one of the above by Jan, just have to decide which one :-)

Here's the thing, I need help deciding on which..I personally WANT the .308Win, BUT I don't have much cash to play with, so I need help with advice on what the best 2nd hand rifles are, based on my requirements - which are:
    a. max 500
    b. will be used for Red stalking and target shooting to 500 yards+
    c. must have parts which can be changed/improved - stock, trigger, barrell - all relatively easily
    d. ideally has 24" barrell, or can be bedded to support a longer than standard barrell

Therefore, it may be a .308Win is not the best solution, but perhaps 7mm or 30-06.

Any advice on makes, models, etc. why and which parts would be good for upgrading, etc.

thanks guys.

There are some very nice Parker-Hale, mauser 98 actioned, .270's about, very cheap. Come with a Timney type trigger already fitted. Possible to re barrel to 30-06, 7x64 etc. One of the best actions ever made according to the experts, also to be found on Bruno/CZ's too.

I would have said buy a really nice Parker-Hale .308 I saw advertised, but I bought it

ft
    Last edited by flytie; 11-11-2010 at 14:19.
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

If you seriously want to play at beyond 500 yards, and the budget is limited, I would suggest you look for a Remington in 7/08. You can alter add modify to your hearts content.

Or this Savage?

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/100205163821000
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    If you seriously want to play at beyond 500 yards, and the budget is limited, I would suggest you look for a Remington in 7/08. You can alter add modify to your hearts content.

Or this Savage?

Buy the Remington then throw half of it away to get decent replacement bits ............................ so you can make a proper rifle out of it .

The P-H suggestion is a good one even though unfashionable. The Mauser 98 action does have a slightly slower lock time. Now for what you after use wise then may I suggest you look at a H/B target rifle then you can add a magazine assembly to make it a repeater, if it does not have a magazine already, and have the 7.62x51 barrel/chamber which shou meet you requirements. Just using the Parker-Hale line which I am familar with there are sevral models that would be suitable like the M84 P-H which had a droppable magazine, the M82 with the Mauser integral magazine and the 1200TX which is the single shot:-

The std factory barrel length is 26".

Of course a lot have been changed on the whim of the target shooters or probably because of lack of proper cleaning. Fultons of Bilsey used to have a big barrel full of part used take off barrels most of which were fine but had to be changed to the latest fashionable makers often the shooters scores improved but mainly through there concentrating more than the original barrels being poor or shot out.

Of course there are other makes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Buy the Remington then throw half of it away to get decent replacement bits ............................ so you can make a proper rifle out of it ....

That is what the man asked for....

You seem to do a fair bit of mixing and matching yourself on old scrap Birmingham rifles. Nothing wrong with that, whatever floats your wee boat...
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I would be looking at a tikka 595, personally i think that its a better action than the remington, they have a magazine system opposed to floorplate, they shoot well with the standard barrel and are cheap enough S/H. Bits are pretty interchangeable on them. I prefer the 595 to the T3 any day. As a second choice, it would be a remington because of the interchangeability features.

Regarding calibres, well if its for reds and targets, ive just made a decision on the same requirements and gone for 7mm08. I cant comment on this calibre as i havent got it yet. The .308 is tried and tested although there are better performers out there. I think you could quite easily end up going round in circles on calibres to be honest and would pick one on what you want. I think that the 7mm rem mag would take some beating for range of bullet weights, velocity and knock down power.

Ive just sold my R700 SPS (V) with a HSP stock in .308 for that sort of money, would have ticked pretty much every box for you.. Keep us all posted on what you go for, it will be interesting to see.

Oh, i know where theres a tikka 595 .308 in LH, in VGC and not shot many rounds for around 400...

Or this Savage?

If you are serious about customising then I agree with this suggestion. Remington's easy to work on, accept Jewell triggers and are easily blueprinted. Most stock manufacturers also supply already inletted for the Remington action. And you will pick one up easily within your budget.

I wouldnt touch a savage.. I owned a .25-06 model 111? and it was awful!

That is what the man asked for....

You seem to do a fair bit of mixing and matching yourself on old scrap Birmingham rifles. Nothing wrong with that, whatever floats your wee boat...

Yes Brian,

I am re-building a BSA Monarch which cost me 25 some years ago. The throat was quite worn so it's got a new barrel. I then chose to go custom and it is going to be a .280 Ackley Improved. I needed a lighter rifle to fit a sound mod on as the P-H 25-06 is very heavy. I will not ruin my 59 Vintage BSA Majestic by having threaded so I picked up another that a previous owner had messed with. This one cost me 75 and came with P-H rings on it which I then sold on e-bay for 55 so even allowing for shipping and a transfer fee the rifle still has only cost me 55 .

The new 7mm barrel cost 95 delivered.

I have worked out the cost to finish it including professional polishing and bluing AND a brand new walnut stock and it comes out to 535 and for that I will have what amounts to a new rifle. 168 of that is for the reamer and gauges.

But at the end of the day it will be built on a proper receiver not a gash bit of tube .

I know where there is a remington 308 synthetic varmint in storage in Glasgow. Heavy barrelled job VSST or something, very accurate at the ranges you are after. You can stalk with it as well.

These are easy to tinker with and fun to modify. I had a 22-250 and enjoyed mucking ab out with it. everything available from US and you can alter as and when money becomes available.

If you are interested PM me and i will get you details.