Thread: SOAC not helpful when stalking!

SOAC not helpful when stalking!

recently while stalking i had rather a few too many encounters with the public which all in all made the day difficult to say the least :

6:30am 6 walkers

9:30am 4 walkers 2 with dogs that where not under control

11.00am Family with 4x4 pickup truck, removing (stealing) freshly cut timber from the face of the hill. (they (4 of them) had walked to the top of the clear fell and where throwing logs / tree trunks down the hill side onto a track)

1pm cyclists, unknown area, bikes dumped in the forest

2pm motorcross chaps, x 4 with the usually associated 2 stroke noise.

3pm 4 labs ( no owner in sight ) roaming arround under no control, but they where nice well trained dogs if just a little on the porky side of FAT.

3:30 4 walkers

To say the least it was a struggle but the day did end with a nice hind.

has anyone else encountered so many "problems" in one single days stalking???

Sounds like FC land to me. I have been offered lots of land from Tillhill and FC in Central Scotland that when viewed on a Saturday was as you describe.

At least you dont have the lurcher boys yet.

Makes safe professional deer management impossible.

What a damn nuisance!

Family with 4x4 pickup truck, removing (stealing) freshly cut timber from the face of the hill. (they (4 of them) had walked to the top of the clear fell and where throwing logs / tree trunks down the hill side onto a track)

Don't start me on this one...my stack, whilst near the road is quite obviously in use (firewood machine, fresh sawdust etc) and yet the amount of people who seem to think it isn't stealing to help themselves off the stack is incredible! I'm after you Mr Blue Volvo Estate!! (and he didn't even have the decency to look poor!)

Quote Originally Posted by Frax View Post
    What a damn nuisance!

Don't start me on this one...my stack, whilst near the road is quite obviously in use (firewood machine, fresh sawdust etc) and yet the amount of people who seem to think it isn't stealing to help themselves off the stack is incredible! I'm after you Mr Blue Volvo Estate!! (and he didn't even have the decency to look poor!)
    There is a stretch of woodland near the river which folks can walk through by me, privately owned woodland. When they were coppicing last year people were driving from the main road, down a freshly sown wheat field, then carrying wood across two small wooden bridges, 200yds apart, from the wood to the wheat field, which was the closest they could get. One woman got her Metro stuck as it bogged down because it was too heavy to get up the field I took photo's with my phone and passed them on to the police. No prosecutions took place

I live in a busy, well populated, part of the country. Unfortunately your story is not uncommon.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by skippy1001 View Post
    recently while stalking i had rather a few too many encounters with the public which all in all made the day difficult to say the least :

6:30am 6 walkers

9:30am 4 walkers 2 with dogs that where not under control

11.00am Family with 4x4 pickup truck, removing (stealing) freshly cut timber from the face of the hill. (they (4 of them) had walked to the top of the clear fell and where throwing logs / tree trunks down the hill side onto a track)

1pm cyclists, unknown area, bikes dumped in the forest

2pm motorcross chaps, x 4 with the usually associated 2 stroke noise.

3pm 4 labs ( no owner in sight ) roaming arround under no control, but they where nice well trained dogs if just a little on the porky side of FAT.

3:30 4 walkers

To say the least it was a struggle but the day did end with a nice hind.

has anyone else encountered so many "problems" in one single days stalking???

Sounds like a pretty average day then! JC

I think I would have left a strategically placed trailer, or other piece of farm machinery in said accsess, (after vehicles were bogged of course!)
    When they were coppicing last year people were driving from the main road, down a freshly sown wheat field, then carrying wood across two small wooden bridges, 200yds apart, from the wood to the wheat field, which was the closest they could get. One woman got her Metro stuck as it bogged down because it was too heavy to get up the field
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Skippy you have know idea of what can really happen when you shoot public ground I have had grass fires while i watching , some chaps came up to me to tell me that i might get my throat cut. 8 lurcherlads driving out a wood strip on the edge of my ground dog walkers telling me what i am doing isnt quite right horsey woman coming on to me at my car and the cops asking if i can drop them in a meat pack . the list for one day is endless but it is all entertaining and the ground holds a good head of deer so my kill ratio is still very high.

If it is FC ground you stalk on, or privately owned ground ,i take it you have informed the ranger,lease holder etc. Did you manage to get the registration number of the vehicle? Doesn't your ground have padlocks on the gates? If so how has a vehicle got in? These are all questions i would be asking.

Good god 1995rs evey one and there dog has keys to forestry gates they all have the same keys

I've never had this level of problem but we had to be very careful when muntjac stalking in Buckinghamshire because of dog walkers and joggers who couldn't keep to bridlepaths and footpaths at 05:00 hrs and effectively put all but 400 acres of the 2,000 acre estate out of bounds on safety grounds.