Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy sales contract

Puppy sales contract

I have a very well bred 20mth old HWV, I had intended to sell him and just concentrate on my spaniel. Nothing wrong with the HWV at all, just felt that he may be better suited with someone who can devote more time to him rather than have to split things between the two dogs.
    I contacted the breeder and advised her of my situation and asked her did she know of anyone who might want him. I paid alot of money for the dog and said I would be looking for approx 1/2 the purchase fee only to be told, that re my "Puppy sales contract" which i signed, I am not allowed to loan, gift or sell the dog and that if I really wanted to place him elsewhere, I would have to deliver him back to them, expect no fee for the dog, but they would look to rehome him.
    My question is: How legal are these sales contracts?
    ATB.

I have been led to believe that these contracts, which are becoming more popular, dont hold much water.

Some discussion here Puppy contracts - Pet Forums Community
    "Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A f**kin bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a f**k what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?"

That is some condition of the contract but as far as I know these "puppy contracts" are legally binding documents and having signed it you are bound by the contract of you having bought and them having sold the pup to you. But if you were to breach the contract by selling the dog would this breeder really take you to court.

I see it as the breeder attempting to have total control over the ownership of any dog bred by them so that they can vet the prospective owner.

I would have a quick word with your solicitor for advice over this unreasonable condition (especially that they would not refund even a partial value of the dog) all be it one that you agreed to at time of purchase.

Cheers Stringer and Gazza, interesting points raised.

ATB.

Do you have the KC Papers if so sell the dog can you tell me who the breeder was please.
    Last edited by 6pointer; 12-11-2010 at 18:29.

Im sure the breeder will be heart broken when you have to tell her that the poor dog got "ran over" and died
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

I have heard this happens with show dogs many years ago [over 20 ] a friends mum bought a king charles cavalier bitch pup and the breeder held all the rights. She even had to breed the bitch when the breeder told her to but the owner did not want the bitch to have any pups but was to frightened to stand up to the breeder because one of the clauses was she could take the bitch back if she failed to meet the conditions. Put it in the legal section theres got to be a lot of solicitors on here

Quote Originally Posted by Perrycombova View Post
    I have a very well bred 20mth old HWV, I had intended to sell him and just concentrate on my spaniel. Nothing wrong with the HWV at all, just felt that he may be better suited with someone who can devote more time to him rather than have to split things between the two dogs.
    I contacted the breeder and advised her of my situation and asked her did she know of anyone who might want him. I paid alot of money for the dog and said I would be looking for approx 1/2 the purchase fee only to be told, that re my "Puppy sales contract" which i signed, I am not allowed to loan, gift or sell the dog and that if I really wanted to place him elsewhere, I would have to deliver him back to them, expect no fee for the dog, but they would look to rehome him.
    My question is: How legal are these sales contracts?
    ATB.
    Any chance you could post a copy of your contract please

I have all these restrictions placed on my HWV but its mainly to ensure he is suitable for breeding and this is very important especially with breeds like this because the breed varies so much. But at the end of the day like all contracts they can be broken just depends on how much your willing to pay for a solicitor. But is the breeder really going to chase you down for it ? And to be honest if I were you I would not go posting contracts and naming breeders because you never know who is looking at this forum.

my mate had the same problem,and in the end he went to seek legal advice and was told that the contract was between the 2 party's,however the contract holds NO legality and if the breeder wanted to pursue it in a small claims court then they could but at there own expense.

in my view "what ye eye dont see the heart dont grieve"