Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .308 for Deer and range.

Account Suspended

.308 for Deer and range.

I have just received my FAC back with the .308 variation added and I am now in the market for a .308 rifle.

I want to use the rifle for deer stalking and on the range. I like the look of the Accuracy International rifles but am concerned the weight of the rifle could pose a problem in the field when stalking. I was hoping to use the Biathalon sling to carry the rifle to help with the weight.

http://www.sportingservices.co.uk/sling2.jpg

http://www.sportingservices.co.uk/accuracy.asp

Does anyone in here have any experience with this rifle for this use ???

It may be the case that I need to get a different rifle for each discipline, but I would rather get one if possible and appropriate.

What do you think ???
    Last edited by robbobsam; 12-11-2010 at 14:09.

Robbobsam,

I've been having the same dilemma for ages, I think millions of other people have too! you're looking for the holy grail of rifles. A light but pretty rifle that can shoot .5 MOA to 1,000 yards, yet be a stalking rifle that looks the part and not like you're going to war. Of course, under 2,000 including scope.

I'm toying with the idea of a Parker Hale with a 26" barrell, getting a new trigger installed, and bedding the stock (not in a pervy way!), then sticking an approx. 4-15X50 scope on top with BDC's and mildot. Harris S-Type 6-9" bipod and a military sling (the one with the loop for the left upper arm).

I am realising that this can also be done using a Remmy 700, and changing the parts as you go along and feel you can afford, ie. stock, barrell, trigger, etc.

Everyone will think their chosen calibre is the best in the world, but .308 as far as I see it, will do what you want just perfectly. It's big enough for red stags, and let's be honest, US Marine Scout Snipers take out bad people with headshots at 1,000 yards no problem with green dot ammo (first off a new factory batch) and not even handloaded, so yep, good enough for the range. people say there are better calibre's for the range, and they might be right, but who cares

I cannot imagine that one for both functions would be appropriate as shooters look down on game shooters often and a howitzer in the field would look odd also plus is the FAC written to cover both functions. Open sight for range work then a scope to swing off and on as required and rezero. Umm.
    I would get two rifles if the rozzers will allow it
    Martin

Sorry although the AI rifles seem to be well regearded and built I cannot really see them for use in the stalking field. It's not only the plastic that puts me off the rifels look damned ugly and I cannot see the point of the tacticool style for stalking. OH yes they are heavy.

I would imagine that he wont be shooting open sight on the range, more like F class? To be honest BBrit, i agree that its probably less than fit for dual purpose.. Go and buy it, lug it around the woods or hills for a few days and then see what you think.. For the sort of money for an AI i would go down the custom route, then you can have a rifle built to your exact spec, will weigh the right amount, be accurate, look good and be something bespoke for you.

Depends what your going to be doing on the range. I was in the same position as you I started using my finnlight for target shooting at bisley and decided that If I kept going the way I was I would shoot it out.

The AI is a heavy rifle to be carrying around and it would give you anything a remmy 700 in a AI stock or Tika T3 can't give at stalking distances. It's my opinion that if your shooting target on a regular basis and getting through 100's of round every two or three sessons then get a second rifle for that purpose otherwise you'll be looking to replace the barrel in a few years.

Jason

I use a Tikka T3 Varment 308 19" Heavy barrel & I use it on the range to keepmy eye in great pice off kit & for stalking really enjoy it

Kevin

Account Suspended
    I think the custom route is a good idea. I will visit Norman Clarkes and get an idea of a price for a custom build.

The AI looks a good rifle with proven accuracy but the weight is a little off putting.

I will check one out in the flesh and go from there.

For the range I would prefer a heavier barrel but the weight will prove a problem in the field. I currently shoot a .243 Super Varmint and the weight can be a little heavy on a nights lamping.

I will see what Norman Clark can offer.
    Last edited by robbobsam; 12-11-2010 at 14:58.

I enquired with Border Barrells about a custom built rifle a bit back, asked for a 24" fluted barrell, Surgeon Action, McMillan Stock, Harris Bi-Pod, Jewell Trigger - quote came in just under 6,000. ooops, sorry for asking!

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    I enquired with Border Barrells about a custom built rifle a bit back, asked for a 24" fluted barrell, Surgeon Action, McMillan Stock, Harris Bi-Pod, Jewell Trigger - quote came in just under 6,000. ooops, sorry for asking!

No I only want one !!!