Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does dry firing a rifle do any damage?

Does dry firing a rifle do any damage?

As a kid i was always brought up to put snap caps in my shotgun and release the pressure on the springs, my old man told me never to do this without snap caps as it can damage the firing pins?

Dry firing a rifle seems common place but i cringe when i see people doing it as im not sure if it does any damage? If i want to try trigger pull then i use an empty case to do so..

SO does dry firing damage a rifle?

ive heard people say it's more damging on a rimfire then centrefire. i dont now true that is but i dotn dry fire my rifles.

Dry firing generally does no harm to a rifle. i have dry fired all mine 22lr as well.

When you read some of the yankee literature they recommend dry firing practice as one of the modes of good shooting practice.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    Dry firing generally does no harm to a rifle. i have dry fired all mine 22lr as well.

When you read some of the yankee literature they recommend dry firing practice as one of the modes of good shooting practice.

Cheers
    I've heard of people breaking rim fire firing pins wby dry firing. Also, the firing pin (slowly) peens the edge of the breach and so can affect feeding/extraction.

But I dry fire the $hit out of my mauser, and have not read (much) against dry firing centre fires
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by harrygrey382 View Post
    I've heard of people breaking rim fire firing pins wby dry firing. Also, the firing pin (slowly) peens the edge of the breach and so can affect feeding/extraction.

But I dry fire the $hit out of my mauser, and have not read (much) against dry firing centre fires
    On a properly set up rimfire, CZ or Anschutz are two, you can dry fire as much as like as the pin cannot make contact with the breach face.

Neil.

I have no idea, but I always use snap-caps for dry-firing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    On a properly set up rimfire, CZ or Anschutz are two, you can dry fire as much as like as the pin cannot make contact with the breach face.

Neil.
    OK I'll take your word on that. Not on my winchester 9422M though...
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

It's standard practice in the military as part of the process to show your rifle is clear - rimfire and centrefire

The firing pins on cf rifles are generally much larger items & more robustly made than the pins on shotguns.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by harrygrey382 View Post
    OK I'll take your word on that. Not on my winchester 9422M though...
    Perhaps I should have said on a properly set up bolt action rimfire

Neil.