Thread: Norwegian roe deer hunt with dogs

Norwegian roe deer hunt with dogs

After several failed trips for me and a group of friends everything seemed to fall into place today.

We arrived at the meeting place 7:30 to be greeted with 5 roe deer in the middle of the farmers field adjacent to our hunting terrain. This field separates two different hunting terrains but we can't hunt on it, well luckily for us the deer bounced off into our terrain and spirits were high.

We gathered all of our kit and slowly crept to our posts ready for the dog to be released. Once everyone had confirmed they were at their posts the dog, a dachs was released at the area where the deer entered the forest, it didn't take long before the barking began so we knew he was hot on their scent. After one hour of the deer circling around in the terrain, a lone female presented a shot to one of our guns.

Here's a couple of pic's:

The collar around the dogs neck has a GPS transmitter which let's us follow the dog on our handheld GPS systems, a great little gadget!

Were off out again tomorrow!
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

Nice animal, what breed of dog is that ?

ATB

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Dekit View Post
    Nice animal, what breed of dog is that ?

ATB

Steve
    Hi Steve, thanks for the reply.

The dog is a wire haired dachshund:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dachs...edirected=true

We are only permitted to use small dogs with driven roe deer hunting in Norway, they can't be any higher than 41cm at the shoulder.
    Jonathan

Hej Jonher, have you got the dog hunting bug now? You had ideal hunting weather with a little snow on the ground.
    I was out hunting today with the tax. Pissing awful weather with rain and high wind.
    Charlie did pick up a roe and started hunting it but the other guns decided it was time for coffee. Bloody Sunday hunters.

www.prokennel.se

Hi Jagare,

I've definitely got the dog hunting bug hearing the dogs barking coming toward you definitely gets the adrenaline flowing! The weather was perfect today, a little snow on the ground and about 1-2 degrees with little to no wind. I'm looking forward to going out again tomorrow

Thinking about getting myself a dog for roe deer and hare, I'm tempted to go for a beagle
    Jonathan