Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How common are Keds?

How common are Keds?

I just checked on that little Roe Doe I shot the other day and she had what I think is a a Ked hanging off of her fur. She's in the chiller at 5 degrees and it seems very sluggish. It's definately not a Tick and looks like a small flat spider.

Are they common? I've not shot hundreds of Deer like some of you but in the 50 or so I have shot I've never seen one before? This makes me think that they don't turn up that often?

Ugly things aren't they! And how come I've only just found one?!

Ive found lots of them mainly through summer months. The last roe i shot a few weeks ago had quite a few on it.

Quote Originally Posted by njc110381 View Post
    I just checked on that little Roe Doe I shot the other day and she had what I think is a a Ked hanging off of her fur. She's in the chiller at 5 degrees and it seems very sluggish. It's definately not a Tick and looks like a small flat spider.

Are they common? I've not shot hundreds of Deer like some of you but in the 50 or so I have shot I've never seen one before? This makes me think that they don't turn up that often?

Ugly things aren't they! And how come I've only just found one?!
    in my experience , ive not found many on roe but ive shot reds that have been infested with them !

you soon know about it if one of the little buggers hops on board , you will be itching and scratching like a chimp until you find it !!!

cheers lee

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Hello njc, I suppose that some areas are more suited to them than others, The N'west highland, lower sheltered little glens or corries with a lot of birch trees and damp conditions seem to suit them very well and I've seen swarms of them in the air in the late afternoons.
    They land then shed their wings, scuttling like crabs for the nearest bit of cover such as eyelids, ears, up the nostrils, into the hair and down the neck.

Their favourite trick is to lie doggo - despite bathing after the day is done - then scuttle out into the open when you are in the midst of company. They certainly make themselves felt as they move around and there is a need to capture them under the fingernail in order to dislodge them as they appear to have hooks on their feet and cling flat like limpets.

I'm told that they feed on dead skin but I suspect that one or two red bites on my waistline have been made by them. They don't burrow in like ticks.
    Last edited by ecoman; 13-11-2010 at 18:47. Reason: spelling
    Opinions often differ according to unknown circumstances.

I've not shot as many roe this year as in previous years, but it has been noticable how few keds have been on the deer when hanging in my larder. In past years, I've frequently had deer with dozens of the little buggers jumping off when the carcase cools.
    I once found one crawling across my wife's pillow, startled wifey when I swiped the little blighter just as it was about to pay her a visit!!
    Cheers, Pete.

i find ked quantaty vary in different locations, lets say i have not found one yet in any deer shot in Fife but every deer i shoot north of inverness is infested with them, a few months ago i was getting infested myslef on a warm summer evening when the instars where in flight looking for a host.

skipp.

Our larder floor is COVERED in keds at the minute.

The appear out the hair when the carcass goes cold.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Been more on the roe here than i've seen before over the last couple of months,had a doe hanging in the fridge for a week there must of been 50 odd hiding up between the legs and most were still alive much to my misses disgust as i skin them in the kitchen she came downstairs next morning to find one crawling around the worktops she was not amused.

I have a small larder in the corner of my garage, just big enough to take 2 roe. In the floor I have an old washing up bowl in which I keep an inch or so of water to catch any blood. When the keds drop off the carcase the majority land in the water and there the little perishers perish. I shot my last buck on 24th Oct, as far as I saw there wasn't a single ked on it.
    Who started this thread? Just the thought of the little buggers is giving me the itch!!
    Pete.

Like mentioned you can shower or bath and then you still get a little beggar make a run for it over the pillow , Mrs not happy , they take some squishing as well , tough little blighters.