Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well done Dumfries and Galloway firearms department.

Well done Dumfries and Galloway firearms department.

I sent my FAC in for a one for one variation on Monday, it was back with me on Thursday. Taking into account the time with the royal mail that means received the certí Tuesday and sent it back the next day.

Good service.

ATB

Tahr

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Thar View Post
    I sent my FAC in for a one for one variation on Monday, it was back with me on Thursday. Taking into account the time with the royal mail that means received the cert’ Tuesday and sent it back the next day.

Good service.

ATB

Tahr
    Brilliant Kevin looks like the forces are getting there act together in the admin dept.

Perhaps you may in light of such events see them in a different light in them helping FC applicants or maybe not.
    ATB Stu

Dumfries have always been great to deal with, my last 1 for 1 took the paper work in and they done it in 10 mins while i waited. U can't get better than that. I dinae think i ken how lucky we are to deal with D&G esp when u read some of the other horror stories on here. Long may they continue to be like that.

Stingy with ammo allowances thou, suppose u can't have everything

Quote Originally Posted by Mannlicher_Stu View Post
    Perhaps you may in light of such events see them in a different light in them helping FC applicants or maybe not.
    ATB Stu
    Hi Stu

I take it you are referring to my post on keeping fired cartridge by GMP, Stu I do not have a axe to grind with the police at all, but you have to look at each event on its own merit and give credit were it is due.

When you look at the post ref:- West Merica that are blatantly disregarding home office guidance, you have to ask yourself who the f**k do they think they are?

Again Stone post were a man is granted permission to own a rifle but then denied the right to purchase ammo for it.

ATB

Tahr

So was that a straight swap with the .270 for a 6.5 swede kevin

Account Suspended
    Hi Stu

I take it you are referring to my post on keeping fired cartridge by GMP, Stu I do not have a axe to grind with the police at all, but you have to look at each event on its own merit and give credit were it is due.

When you look at the post ref:- West Merica that are blatantly disregarding home office guidance, you have to ask yourself who the f**k do they think they are?

Again Stone post were a man is granted permission to own a rifle but then denied the right to purchase ammo for it.

ATB

Tahr
    Kevin in all honesty not so many forces accept that a .375 cal is suitable to shoot any quarry in this country its like firing a cannon ball to kill a mouse isnt it and more at home for use knocking elephants down isnt it.
    Admitedlly it complies with energy reqd etc. but so does a howitzer

235g mv 2983 Me 4634
    270g mv 2790 Me 4665
    285g mv 2756 Me 4785
    300g mv 2530 Me 4265

Anyone got the statistic data on the howitzer?
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 14-11-2010 at 12:43.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    So was that a straight swap with the .270 for a 6.5 swede kevin
    Wash your mouth out Dave, mentioning the unspeakable calibre. 270 for another 270 although there could be a 6.5 calibre rifle finding it way into my cabinet soon, not a swede though.

Stu
    While I don’t see the need for a 375 for UK deer if you own one for use on over seas game you sure as hell need to shot it at targets at the very least. I would want to be totally familiar with a rifle before I hunted buff’ your life could depend on it. Also the big bullets would work well on boar, so if you have convinced them you have good reason for the rifle it is a farce for them to say you can have the rifle but no ammo for it. Then you try to say we have no reason for suspicion of some firearms departments.

ATB

Tahr

Account Suspended
    Wash your mouth out Dave, mentioning the unspeakable calibre. 270 for another 270 although there could be a 6.5 calibre rifle finding it way into my cabinet soon, not a swede though.

Stu
    While I donít see the need for a 375 for UK deer if you own one for use on over seas game you sure as hell need to shot it at targets at the very least. I would want to be totally familiar with a rifle before I hunted buffí your life could depend on it. Also the big bullets would work well on boar, so if you have convinced them you have good reason for the rifle it is a farce for them to say you can have the rifle but no ammo for it. Then you try to say we have no reason for suspicion of some firearms departments.

ATB

Tahr
    You put up a good argument Kevin I will give you that but like you say even you cant see a use for it on game in this country.

Maybe the police who have granted a certificate for a 375 who are at the moment should consider allowing the purchase ,with a condition that it may not be used in the pursuit of game in this country, but will allow purchase of amunition for the sole purpose of the F.C holder to use for zeroing of the rifle on recognized ranges only, and limiting the purchase of such accordingly .
    I can see why any force is reluctant to grant the use for any other purpose,
    Neither am I sure what the Home Office guidlines are in such a cal but my view is they arnt acting unreasonable just acting cautious, lets face it would you really want them to act differently where public safety is concerned.
    Regards
    Stu
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 14-11-2010 at 13:25.

While I donít see the need for a 375 for UK deer
    wo! hold on there that's a bit iffy isn't it??

my .223 delivers 1100 ft/lb of energy to the roe I shoot that weigh say 50lb ish
    my .375 delivers 4400 ft/lb of energy that I would like to use on my reds that weight 240lb ish not the 350lb things down south

.223 or roe delivers about 22 ft/lb per lb but the 375 h&h only delivers about 18 ft/lb per lb to reds. So actually the .223 delivers more energy per pound on roe than the .375 would on reds.

Please give a logical reason why you don't see a need for .375 on red deer say especially when they might need dropped in the rides between dense forestry blocks. I shoot my roe with my .308 usually sending them 2700 ft/lb at muzzle so thats 54 ft/lb per pound.... nearly 3 times the energy per pound a red would get with the .375 but that's fine and every is happy?

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    wo! hold on there that's a bit iffy isn't it??

my .223 delivers 1100 ft/lb of energy to the roe I shoot that weigh say 50lb ish
    my .375 delivers 4400 ft/lb of energy that I would like to use on my reds that weight 240lb ish not the 350lb things down south

.223 or roe delivers about 22 ft/lb per lb but the 375 h&h only delivers about 18 ft/lb per lb to reds. So actually the .223 delivers more energy per pound on roe than the .375 would on reds.

Please give a logical reason why you don't see a need for .375 on red deer say especially when they might need dropped in the rides between dense forestry blocks. I shoot my roe with my .308 usually sending them 2700 ft/lb at muzzle so thats 54 ft/lb per pound.... nearly 3 times the energy per pound a red would get with the .375 but that's fine and every is happy?

A good analytical exercise that Paul