Thread: Come the 1st of November

Come the 1st of November

Every year its always the same, so why I'm I so surprised that once again its exactly as previous years.................

What I'm I talking about, well the week leading up to the 1st Nov, I went out on my land on 3 occasions each time I was fortuante enough to get a pricket and watch many more does and fawns, up to 60 -80 an outing. Now we're in November when does can be taken, I've been out 5 times and I'm seeing nothing male or female.

Do other people notice that the deer know when the 1st kicks in? Nature in the raw is full of unanswered questions.

Didn`t you know?
    Deer have calenders too.
    basil.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Even worse when the Roe bucks just stand there taunting you ...

It seems they know..
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Whilst doing the Hind weeks on Arran, we have been stopped on forestry tracks many times, by a procession of stags both young and old crossing (Slowly), while staring intently through the windscreen.............
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Same story with my geese, the weeks leading up to the season you have to duck (pardon the pun) so they don't break your arm as they fly past. Come day 1, FEKK*N GONE.........TW*TS !!!!!
    HOW MANY HALF TRUTHS MAKE A STORY.....ALL OF THEM.....JUST NOT THE WHOLE STORY !

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Whilst doing the Hind weeks on Arran, we have been stopped on forestry tracks many times, by a procession of stags both young and old crossing (Slowly), while staring intently through the windscreen.............
    I keep telling everyone.... but no-one will listen... they're only playing dumb!!!.... just biding their time, waiting for us to kill ourselves off.. and then,...they are taking over!!

Quote Originally Posted by joncarnage View Post
    Every year its always the same, so why I'm I so surprised that once again its exactly as previous years.................

What I'm I talking about, well the week leading up to the 1st Nov, I went out on my land on 3 occasions each time I was fortuante enough to get a pricket and watch many more does and fawns, up to 60 -80 an outing. Now we're in November when does can be taken, I've been out 5 times and I'm seeing nothing male or female.

Do other people notice that the deer know when the 1st kicks in? Nature in the raw is full of unanswered questions.

Our we talking about Fallow here? which I assume you are. Its not unusual for Fallow, they can be very nomadic. They will come back on to your land later in the year, and the rut just being over they can be a little elusive at this time for a while I think. Especially the Bucks.

ATB

Sikamalc
    Last edited by sikamalc; 14-11-2010 at 19:59.

Jon,
    Devon seems to be suffering the same way, been out half a dozen times since the rut and not seen a Roe. My mate has had limited sucess with the Fallow on different ground but our usual haunts that were occupied a few weeks ago appear to have been given the Deer calender as mentioned above. However mate just remember age and treachery will defeat youth and enthusiasm!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pheasant sniper 1 View Post
    Even worse when the Roe bucks just stand there taunting you ...

It seems they know..
    Nov 1st on my way to the high seat, see six fallow does in the wood about 60 yards ahead, up comes rifle and all I can see is mist, lens all fogged up with condensation. By the time I had cleared it their gone. Bugger. Get in High seat and about an hour later good roebuck still with wood on his head decides to have a nibble about 20 yards from the seat for 5 mins

ade