Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7mm WSM

7mm WSM

So, who shoots the 7WSM? Looks like a great calibre? Whats it like to shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfisherman View Post
    I do and have done for about 5 years,fast flat and hits hard,using the rigght bullet whcich there is a good choice ideal as an alround caliber for here and abroad,I taken all manner of animals from a munty to a elan bull in Africa,the 7mm showed it worth dropping every animal I took in africa on the spot with 1 shot never lost a beast unlike some with bigger calibers
    a little barky without a mod but not unpleasent to shoot,with a mod its like any other caliber,
    I use 154gr interbond which i find a superb bullet and dosent break up and is kind on the meat being a bonded bullet,if you like extended ranges the 7mm is a perfect caliber being ballistcally better than anything out there,iam happy to 500 yards as thats what i practice at,the caliber is Ok for a lot further but i tend to stop where Iam happy at
    anyway I cant fault it it does all i have ever asked from it

regarding noise and recoil without mod, what would you compare it to?

regarding noise and recoil without mod, what would you compare it to?
    I noticed no difference to any other semi large caliber,there all about the same,Ive used most popular calibers and feel no difference really,i never noticed any recoil whist shooting a beast,if your on a bench you feel the recoil of any caliber as your waiting for it to happen,
    I have used it with a mod without a mod and a muzzle break,it jumps a bit with nothing on the end but all rifles do,at the end of the day if you have a light weight stalking rifle they do jump about but you cant have it both ways.
    my mate shoots a 270 wsm and gets on very well with it

I was out in NZ recently alpine hunting in the South Island (near Fox Glacier- see my pics) for Thar and Chamois and the kiwi guy that guided me ( a ex-pro PH) gave me a 7mm WSM Kimber Montana, synthetic stock, using 150 gn bullets and a Swaro 10X42. The rifle only weighed 7lbs, but boy was I grateful for that, as the bast**d nearly killed me climbing those bl**dy mountains and anything heavier and I would have died for sure. Hell of a rear up, but no appreciable kick, due to good butt pad. Killed those motherf***ers dead at 500m. I know it's fashionable at the mo, but I was seriously impressed!!

If anyone fancies a rifle in 7mm WSM the choices are few. This calibre looks like it's heading for oblivion which is a pity.

Winchester (USRAC) who invented it have dropped it from their M70 line, nor is it available in the Sako M85, Tikka T3, or Remington M700 where there's a 7mm SAUM competitor.
    Come to think of it, apart from semi-custom makers I haven't been able to find any new rifles available from a major manufacturer now.

Part of the problem is that 7mm WSM cases differ from .270 WSM/ .300 WSM / and .325 WSM so can't be formed from these. They're going to be scarce and expensive to source.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    If anyone fancies a rifle in 7mm WSM the choices are few. This calibre looks like it's heading for oblivion which is a pity.

Winchester (USRAC) who invented it have dropped it from their M70 line, nor is it available in the Sako M85, Tikka T3, or Remington M700 where there's a 7mm SAUM competitor.
    Come to think of it, apart from semi-custom makers I haven't been able to find any new rifles available from a major manufacturer now.

Part of the problem is that 7mm WSM cases differ from .270 WSM/ .300 WSM / and .325 WSM so can't be formed from these. They're going to be scarce and expensive to source.
    Just to correct one small innacuracy, Howa make a 7mm WSM, I have one & it shoots better than I can, & I ain't no slouch, as to cases, they are the easiest in the world to neck down from .300 WSM.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

you obviously havnt done you homework,as you can neck down the 300 and neck up the 270 brass if you wish,I dont see the point as theres plenty of 7mm wsm brass around

Hmmm USRAC are defunct and the Winchester name reverted to FN who own the Winchester name and only licensed USRAC to make guns under the name. FN now make the Model 70's in very limited calibres and chamberings as it was USRAC that developed the WSM's FN would possibly have to pay royalties in chambering rifles so I doubt it's going to happen plus they never caught on. Heck FN don't even chamber the 25-06 in the new model 70's it seems so WSM is a hope and a pray.

you obviously havnt done you homework,as you can neck down the 300 and neck up the 270 brass if you wish,I dont see the point as theres plenty of 7mm wsm brass around

LONGSHOT

Just to correct one small innacuracy, Howa make a 7mm WSM, I have one & it shoots better than I can, & I ain't no slouch, as to cases, they are the easiest in the world to neck down from .300 WSM. FINNBEAR

Sorry chaps, but you are both wrong.

Obviously you can neck up .270WSM, and neck down .300 WSM to 7mm calibre, but that won't give you 7mm WSM cases. You'll find that the shoulder of the 7mm WSM case has been moved forward to prevent short-sighted folk chambering 7mm WSM rounds in a .270 WSM. So 7mm WSM cases differ from the rest of their brethren as the headspace dimension is longer.... which is kind of important.

But don't take my word for it. Try doing what you suggest, and see what happens.

For that reason alone I can't see the 7mm WSM cartridge being around for very long.