Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else struggle with bullseye targets?

Anyone else struggle with bullseye targets?

Right, I nearly buggered up my shooting test today on DSC1. For the prone shot, three at 100m, it took me three attempts and even then it was only just.

However on moving to the deer target I stuck all six in a 1 inch group??????

I dont know what it was, maybe something to do with concentrating too much on the bull? Anyone else had a similar problem?

All I know is.... A 16 year old kid passed his shooting test on my last course without a miss having never fired a centrefire rifle. The first time he held and fired a full bore rifle was on first shot at the zero card. Then an experienced shot needed two re-shoots who is a good shot on the zero, then another on the deer target.

Who can make sense of it.

I am another who cannot shoot paper but put a live deer out there and it becomes dead one suppose its lack of need to concenterate

A suggestion, only that but, if you have the rifle zeroed about 1"-1 1/2" high at 100 then you can aim at the very bottom of the bull. Sitting the round bull onto the top of the interesction of the reticle like a lollipop then you shots will go intot eh bull as your zeroed that 1"-1 1/2" high. Aiming at that point gives you a precise aiming point. It's the way they used the iron sights with a balde foresight so it's not new.

Can,t shoot paper for my life, but head shoot squirrels with my 22 daily

No problems, with paper there is no escape, the holes are there for all to see. Chest shot on a deer or fox anywhere within a four inch circle will do. I believe that we should all be able to shoot a 2 inch group prone before venturing after living game, practise is the only way. I bet I fire 10 target rounds for every one I fire at a living animal.

A

Quote Originally Posted by andibrains View Post
    Right, I nearly buggered up my shooting test today on DSC1. For the prone shot, three at 100m, it took me three attempts and even then it was only just.

However on moving to the deer target I stuck all six in a 1 inch group??????

I dont know what it was, maybe something to do with concentrating too much on the bull? Anyone else had a similar problem?
    ...you may have answered your own question there: concentrating SOOOO hard on the bull.

Not entirely removed is me when I'm shooting with my shotgun. I often make a ******** of a round of clays, simply because whislt waiting to step up, I spend too long watching the clays, thinking about how and where to take it, etc..... and then miss 'cos I've thought too much about it!!. Out in the pigeon hide, or walking up pheasants it's a different matter completely - bring the gun up, bang....much better!

Dunno WHAT's going on there!!
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

50% of fails for the DSC1 are failed on the accuracy and 50% of them are shooters that think they have nothing to learn... FACT.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    A suggestion, only that but, if you have the rifle zeroed about 1"-1 1/2" high at 100 then you can aim at the very bottom of the bull. Sitting the round bull onto the top of the interesction of the reticle like a lollipop then you shots will go intot eh bull as your zeroed that 1"-1 1/2" high. Aiming at that point gives you a precise aiming point. It's the way they used the iron sights with a balde foresight so it's not new.
    +1 for that strategy

Andy, it was my rifle you were using initially today. I wouldn't get too hung up about it. The DSC targets are pretty awful to shoot at. I think a red bull without the thick black circle would probably help people more.