Thread: Plains Game Bullets

Plains Game Bullets

I would appreciate recommendations from thoses on here who have African Hunting experience.

What bullets for reloading in 30.06 180grn would be favourable.

Used my 30.06 normally with 150grn Sierra Gamekings both in the UK and Norway but have not tried the 180 at all.

I think my rifle should be ok with this weight of bullet. It is a Remington base with standard sporting barrel.

Hi, I have only ever used 180gr Nosler Partition and they have done the job well.

smithy

i once read somewhere that the .375 H&H was considered minimum for big game hunting in Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Hornady View Post
    i once read somewhere that the .375 H&H was considered minimum for big game hunting in Africa
    Hornady, thats probably why redneck asked about plains game bullets

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by smithp18 View Post
    Hi, I have only ever used 180gr Nosler Partition and they have done the job well.

smithy
    And there you have it. The wheel was invented a long time ago, no need to reinvent it. You could try 165gr TTSX's though, they are building a really good rep also.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Redneck,

What game will you be hunting?

I've always been fond of the Speer Grand Slam (used to like Mag Tips- if you can find some, buy them all!).

Partitions are good too- they tend to expand quickly, leaving the rear half to do the penetration, which is useful on smaller game like springbuck or impala.

Speer's Hot-Cor flat based bullets are very underrated in my opinion- I always got very good accuracy, and I've never failed to recover an animal shot with them.
    Last edited by Windknot; 15-11-2010 at 11:48. Reason: Typo

Hornady
    Lots of African smaller species are taken with the like of 243 and 270 as well as the 30 calibres and up.

Windknot

Dont know the exact species i will be hunting. Just have agreement that hunting is available and that 30.06 will do the job. Having to fit the trip in with also working in norway and a trip to Canada so its going to happen but not sure of all details yet.

I appreciate the replies and thanks to all
    Redneck

I