Guns seized

steyr

after coming in from work off night shift i went to bed as usual on Saturday afternoon at about 1300,at around 1730 i was woke out of a deep sleep by Mrs steyr telling me to "get dressed and come down stairs now!"..i thought straight away something was very wrong as she would never wake me from a deep sleep,so i ran straight down stairs!.to be confronted by two very armed police officers (Mr&Mrs) with BMW x5 outside ect...i thought the worst ime in the $hite,,but what have i done??? then they said we are here to seize guns ""but not yours" they said.."the guns your holding for someone else" i showed them to my safe and gave them all his guns showing them to be safe first,..they then said ""and all his ammo and in fact anything else belonging to him" so i complied.they then asked when was the last time i had contact with him and i could only reply with 2 texts since September when he dropped the guns off,they told me to have no contact with him as they were off to see him and his certificate!!...i asked what he had done but was told that i was a good person to keep my firearms and it would not reflect on me whatsoever and that me keeping his guns was a good thing to do but now they must take them and to go back to bed and get some sleep before going to work,so off to bed i went,and they took all the guns and ammo to their x5 with the help of Mrs steyr (the next day the neighbours asked Mrs steyr what was all that about,she replied its government cutbacks they just popped in for to borrow some guns and ammo!!..i had a laugh at that!) now Aime thinking what do i do..no recipt..do i send notice within 7 days,what if ...anything ..should i say?? i would like to say one more thing..the armed police officers were very polite and professional beyond belief a credit to their force.:thumb:

If you had some one elses guns are they also on yur certificate and if not why did you have access to them. Hope it all works out ok for your friend.

If you had some one elses guns are they also on yur certificate and if not why did you have access to them. Hope it all works out ok for your friend.

I take it your a registered Firearms dealer then?
Thats the only way thay legally you could have them in your possesion.

I presume they had been transfered to you and the necessary notifications sent?

OK just to re-cap a Friend (so i thought!) left his wife...,two lovely black labs that i have done posts about! (they now have a new good home!) his 8 month old girl and a 14 year old girl off a previous relationship,left his guns with me (loan/transfer..and on my ticket with notice to plod HQ).... he turned up to leave his guns with me about 10 weeks ago (05 09 2010) and that was the last i seen of him apart from two texts,and now this has happened. the only thing ime thinking of is should i have got a receipt the officer seen my certificate and they are on!! and they were notified!! they were well happy but i cant help thinking should i send a letter within 7 days saying that plod has taken them away??

So really the gun are legally your why would they take them at all.Thought they would have just informed you not to let your friend have access to them.

no you can loan/transfer without being a RFD but they must be on your ticket if over 72 hours!!
Can you?
Only if you have a slot on your ticket to aquire that calibre otherwise your commiting an offence are you not?
The exception to that is if your a firearms dealer. or the weapons lodged were shotguns but section 1 firearms definitely not.

Thats why the police have removed them from your possesion me thinks.

steyr

What a nightmare :eek:

I'd start by giving your local FEO a call.

To cover yourself (on the basis that the guns in question are on your ticket, but that neither you - nor presumably the original certificate holder - are aware of their location) you might also want to inform the chief of police who issued your ticket:

Section 33 of the 1997 Act it requires that, within seven days of the transaction, the transferor and transferee must send, by recorded or special delivery, notification to the chief officers of police who issued their own certificates. The transferor is the person who originally possessed the gun, and the transferee is the recipient (and it is the transferor who must write the details of the gun and its transfer onto the certificate of the transferee). The notice of the transaction must contain a description of the firearm or shot gun (including any identification number), state the nature of the transaction and give the name and address of the other person concerned.

Did you happen to note the numbers of the armed police officers? If so you might want to jot those down on the letter to the police when you explain in your letter why they have been "transferred".

willie_gunn​

So really the gun are legally your why would they take them at all.Thought they would have just informed you not to let your friend have access to them.
on my ticket as loan/transfer as he has no house to keep them, they are not legally mine.... he may have done something stupid but if they thought i may give him his guns back.. why leave me with mine??

As above. If they are on your certificate and in your custody what has it got to do with the police? Surely they are no longer anything to do with the previous 'owner'? :-|

Edit: oh, answered whilst I was posting!

Can you?
Only if you have a slot on your ticket to aquire that calibre otherwise your commiting an offence are you not?
The exception to that is if your a firearms dealer.

Thats why the police have removed them from your possesion me thinks.

shotguns!!

steyr

What a nightmare :eek:

I'd start by giving your local FEO a call.

To cover yourself (on the basis that the guns in question are on your ticket, but that neither you - nor presumably the original certificate holder - are aware of their location) you might also want to inform the chief of police who issued your ticket:

Did you happen to note the numbers of the armed police officers? If so you might want to jot those down on the letter to the police when you explain in your letter why they have been "transferred".

willie_gunn​
no numbers nothing i was told it was ok and i dont need to do anything but i was thinking your thoughts i must inform them but how??

I don't think that's what he's saying, though I might be wrong.

It sounds like the guns are owned by his mate, but that steyr also has them on his ticket. I have my stalking mentor's rifles on my ticket in case I need to have possession of one for a client to use as an estate rifle. They are not legally mine, but by having them on my ticket I am entitled to have them in my possession. A subtle but important difference.

Also, with regard to the police informing you not to let your friend have access, I fear that opens up a huge can of worms. The scenarios this could lead to are not worth contemplating. Personally I'd refuse any such request and ask the police to remove the friends guns from my possession.

willie_gunn

no numbers nothing i was told it was ok and i dont need to do anything but i was thinking your thoughts i must inform them but how??
Just as a ring piece twitcher for you.
How sure they were genuine police officers?
Surely they would have left you with some paperwork or produced documentation.

Back