Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Threading differences

Threading differences

Ok, How do i find out what my threading i have on the end of my rifle.

Currently i have a Tikka .243 which i had threaded maybe 4-5 years ago by the gunsmith at my local shop. It was originally cut to fit a PES. I then got a .270 and a friend of mine srewcut that for me on his lathe using the same PES specifications. Now, i aint thick when it comes to most things but converting sizes has never been my strong point.

Ok, so now i have on order a new T3 which will be screwcut by the manufacturer.
    In a conversation on the phone to Fester the other day he asked if i`d got it yet and whether it was comming screwcut and if so, what was i gonna put on it. I told him i was going to use the Wildcat on which i now use on the .243 to which he asked what thread i`d had put on it. I answered that i was positive it was 1/2" unf to which he said that he was sure that Tikka came screwcut at 15mm. So if this is the case then i need to ask Tikka to screwcut it to 1/2 unf, because if it comes with the wrong thread then i will have to either have it recut to that or buy another mod which i don`t really want to do.

So, how do i measure what it is, as i need to act ASAP.

I hope this makes sense.

wadas
    Last edited by wadashot; 15-11-2010 at 20:13.

Don't worry my man. You are using a Wildcat which is modular so all you need to do is buy a new baffle stack to fit the Tikka and not worry about the others. Use the new stack in the appropriate calibre on the Tikka and put the old stack in for the other rifles. You can give the mod a clean at the time of swapping it over.

As I said no problems and probably much easier than trying to get Tikka or their importers to change the thread on one rifle.

Hi Wadas,
    have a look on the Tikka website and you will see that if it is screwcut by Tikka it will either be M14x1 or M15x1 depending on calibre. If the importers cut it themselves which has happened in the past, it may be different. Incidentally my Sako (same company) cut my rifle as M18x1 thread, it is a varmint barrel.
    Last edited by 8x57; 16-11-2010 at 07:29.

the sporter barrels are cut with m14x1 and the varmint barrels are cut m18x1
    i dont no if they will put any other threa don it for you. i guess asking wont hurt.

but as the guy above said you can get it changed by getting different stack.
    Last edited by jay 22; 16-11-2010 at 00:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Don't worry my man. You are using a Wildcat which is modular so all you need to do is buy a new baffle stack to fit the Tikka and not worry about the others. Use the new stack in the appropriate calibre on the Tikka and put the old stack in for the other rifles. You can give the mod a clean at the time of swapping it over.

As I said no problems and probably much easier than trying to get Tikka or their importers to change the thread on one rifle.
    Thanks for the replies guys, But swapping the stack from one caliber/thread size would mean having to re-zero the gun everytime before stalking etc because i would be stripping the mod down.

wadas
    Last edited by wadashot; 16-11-2010 at 08:27.

Nope. On the Wildcat the baffle stack is in the front bit which happens to have the thread for the barrel in it. Baffle and muzzle thread are on one piece which aligns th rest of the mod.... Simples

If your worried why not phone the people at Wildcat and they can tell you exactly how it works. Get the info from the horses mouth so to speak.

Ok matey, thanks for that.

wadas

If you can manage to track Fester down to talk to him, then sorting your mod thread out will be a doddle I tell ya!

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    If you can manage to track Fester down to talk to him, then sorting your mod thread out will be a doddle I tell ya!

John
    I`ve had quite a bit of conversing with Fest of late John, mind you the rut is now over.

An update on my threading problem. I borrowed a thread gauge from a fitter at work and have now established that it is gauging 13 (half inch) i`ve also put a 1/2" unf bolt on the end and that fits fine too. I contacted my gunshop who says that Tikka thread there rifles at M13. He says to bring the mod down and try it on a factory threaded rifle. So here`s hoping it fits because he says they wouldn`t change it to my spec if different.

wadas

Quote Originally Posted by wadashot View Post
    I contacted my gunshop who says that Tikka thread there rifles at M13. He says to bring the mod down and try it on a factory threaded rifle. So here`s hoping it fits because he says they wouldn`t change it to my spec if different.

wadas
    Hi Wadas,

1/2" unf won't fit on M13, the thread pitch is much finer on the metric thread. However, I suspect your gunshop is mistaken, as someone above said, it will most likely be M14 on the standard barrel or M18 on the varmint barrel.

What model T3 have you ordered? You can check the Tech Specs on Tikka's web site:

Tikka T3 Rifles

Click the model, then scroll down and click the Technical Spec PDF

Alex

p.s. I thought you were happy with your current .243?