Thread: Binocular Misalignment

Binocular Misalignment

Thanks to a certain puppy, I now have a set of Bushnell 7 x 42 that are out of alignment. First question, how much would you guesstimate for repair? And does any one know of anywhere reputable to get them fixed. I know they are no Zeiss or Swarovski. But they are light and (at least used too) produce an excellant clear image. So I am reluctant to just chuck them in the bin. I think they are 109 new.

Cheers

Ali

Have a word with glasgow binocular repair.Glasgow Binocular Repair
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I have used this guy, very friendly Binoculars repaired and serviced. Plus telescope and microscope repairs he did a repair for me

Sent mine to Glasgow..they were great

Can you not take the plastic cover off and adjust them yourself, I had to do this with a pair of mine that the kids chucked down the stairs...

Thanks for the advice.

I was kind of hoping someone would recommend the DIY meathod. How hard was it and simply how did you do it? Is it a case of just mounting them on a tripod or something and adjusting the collonimeter screws until it is all sitting pretty again?

Cheers

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    Thanks for the advice.

I was kind of hoping someone would recommend the DIY meathod. How hard was it and simply how did you do it? Is it a case of just mounting them on a tripod or something and adjusting the collonimeter screws until it is all sitting pretty again?

Cheers
    Even if you was competent in achieving that how would you purge the air in it and replace with nitrogen?

Quote Originally Posted by Mannlicher_Stu View Post
    Even if you was competent in achieving that how would you purge the air in it and replace with nitrogen?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Mannlicher_Stu View Post
    Apparantly there is a screw on the externnal body 'Collimation screw' that if adjusted alters the position of the prisim without comprimising the gas tight intergrity of the body. Good point well made though if it is/was applicable. I have left the Binoculars in the car overnight then taken inside, there has been no fogging or condinsation so I am convinced there is no leaks.

If I did attempt to correct it myself and it then tunrned out they where still not right it will have cost me nothing...

One of two problems,
    One the case is bent!! Have a look you may be able to straighten it with a bit of hand pressure. Worked on my old bins but they were valued at a fiver. Or the prism is knocked out of alignment. To ajust it with the screw then could do more damage so be careful. If it is dislodged it could ruin it.
    Solution House insurance,
    Jim