A compilation of good boar bullets!

der Aulte Jaeger

If you've shot a big boar, say 250 lbs or larger what bullet did you use and how did it perform? Hope to hunt boar soon and want to get some "experienced" replies as opposed to the , "I heard about this guy who shot this boar and....!" What say those of you who've killed a biggun??

I personally, friends and clients have shot a few in that range and bigger using my rifles.
30-06, 165gr( Federal blue boxes) or 180 gr( RWS mantle tips) did the job no problem what so ever.
458, 520 gr soft points,did the job too.
I`m not a ballistics "expert" or a reloading/technical anorak,this is just from my experiences and it worked for me.
It`s the same old story though, a good bullet put in the right place !

7 mm Rem mag, 175gr federal premium with trophy bonded bear claw bullets.
Have a few left but will use RWS 162gr cone points this time when I use up the others.
Norma oryx and vulcan are recommended for pigs (by them) as is lapua mega and sako hammerhead.
Most bullets will do the job well but pick heavy for calibre and try and get a bonded bullet.
MOA accuracy isnt required.

I use Hornady Interlocks in 265 gr in the .444 and speer round nose 180 gr in the .308 both do the job very well on runing boar.Big slow heavy bullets rather than fast light bullets are best when dealing with fast moveing pigs in woodland were the range is never more than 150meters at most and more likley to be around the 40- 70 meters mark most of the time i find.

Bob

23-11-2009125233.jpg

Hope to get bigger this year in bavaria and bulgaria.

180 grain Nosler partition in the 30-06 and 350 grain Hornady in the 45-70,big and slow deffinatly the way to go with driven Boar.

The biggest pigs i have shot have been with .270 156gr sako hammer heads or 130gr sierra prohunters.I have used fedral fusion ammo with good effect also nosler partions.All the pigs i have shot with the expetion of one have been shot in the uk and not driven.If you were driven shooting i would recomend a good .30cal with premium bullets.
Cheers sean

Glad you mentioned the Nosler bullets Sean, especially as you recently sold me those 250 grn Nosler's in 9.3mm.

I've shot a standing un-alarmed big boar, late in the evening with a 170 grain Vulkan out of a 7 mm Rem Mag. Lights out syndrome. Dropped on the spot. Whatever calibre you have, use a heavy for calibre bullet. The brenneke TUG / RWS UNI bullet is GREAT. In a 30 calibre it would be my choice. Also the 220 grain hammerhead. A friend uses 220 grain silvertips in a 300 win mag, with excellent results. In a 9.3x62 I even would use a traditional softpoint, but not so in a 270. Nosler Partition will be excellent.
In medium calibres ,a good strong heavy for calibre bullet is the answer.

Glogin--I'm sure you know what it takes for a boar of size. I was just wondering after hearing about the shield that developes across the shoulers, protecting the forward chest area and what it takes to penetrate it through and through on the bigger critters. I've heard that it's a bullet stopper from some and others say not so, leaving me to wonder. How big is the bigger boars where you folks hunt?

Wild Boar in Britain
safe.gif

Information on the wild boar free-living in Britian. Field signs, academic, sus scrofa, research papers, forum, species profile and locations.
http://www.british hope no one minds me putting in this link, after reading the bit about how low you need to shoot for the "pump room", I thought members might benefit from this site, I printed off a card sized body parts layout from here a long time ago. Steve.

Thats good site Finn, Martin Goulding is quite switched on ref boar and down to earth.Did a bit with him a few years back,he`s clever bloke but normal too.

I thought I had the ultimate cartridge/rifle combination with a .338 Win Mag and a Sako hunting version of the TRG. But .338 got banned on MoD ranges! I have had excellent experience of the 7mm Rem Mag particularly on longer shots on driven boar in places like Hungary, using Federal 175 grain Trophy Bonded. This was an original MacMillan rifle with muzzle brake, which downed boar on the run very well; the guides were most impressed. They were less impressed with the red guacamole which dripped from their ears ..... the 7mm RM seems to have a shock knock down from the velocity which compensates for the comparatively light bullet weight. It should also be acceptable for a deer stalking certificate in the UK.

Apart from the 7mm RM (now in Blaser form without a brake) my preferred combo is 9.3 x 62 on a Blaser shooting Norma 285gr Oryx. A bit slower, but very pointable, and the ammo is available in most places in Europe if you need to refill. Despite being a 1905 cartridge, it is just a really good all rounder.

175gr fedral trophy bonded in 7mm rem mag.
dug out of a big boar (driven) on tuesday.
it entered the left shoulder breaking it and ended up under the skin on the back leg.WOW..
not weighed it yet.
Image0085.jpg

Perfect bullet performance. That's the way it should always be. I am convinced that the same bullet used on roe, red or fallow, will make a clean performance. Much better than most "soft" bullets around. Clearly somebody that knows how to select his bullets.

Back