Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 110gr Norma 270

110gr Norma 270

I use this round for all my shooting at home and the groupings I get with it on targets is superb which gives me great confidence when I squeeze the trigger however is this load too light for red deer and should I be looking for something a wee bit bigger?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CRUMPY View Post
    I use this round for all my shooting at home and the groupings I get with it on targets is superb which gives me great confidence when I squeeze the trigger however is this load too light for red deer and should I be looking for something a wee bit bigger?!!!
    Bigger probably wouldn't hurt (well, it might hurt the deer more), BUT it's not 'necessary'. If you place the bullet well, the 110 will do pretty much the same job as a heavier bullet will. For big stags, maybe a 150 grain wouldn't be a bad thing (but not necessary), but for hinds and calves and most stags, you should be perfectly fine with the 110. I've shot reds with 100g .243, and with 6.5x55 150g, and to be honest, almost no difference in knock down effect...but then again, they have all been perfect bullet placement (not to sound cheeky).

'Depends on what you mean by red deer CRUMPY. If it's hinds and calves then I'd give it a go and see how you get on with that first. I take it that the 110 grain Norma are not designated as vermin rounds ? If they are, be on guard in case they fragment too easily and do so on entry. You'd probably blight your life by chasing strongly running deer.

When talking .270, some of the fellows might grimace and say that 110 grain bullets are too light - but PKL rightly pointed out that people - including me for many years - used a 100 grain in .243 with no problems.

Bullet placement is the key. heavier bullets do not compensate for indifferent shooting.

A 130 - or 150 grain bullet will get you across wind better, and of course they retain more energy and accuracy much further out if required.

If you are up to it, I'd suggest loading up some 130 grain in Sierra, Hornady or Speer - or Norma if you have access, doing a comparison of point of impact and grouping against the 110 grain bullets, and trying the 110 first to see how you get on, and if you feel that you want to change up to the 130, your notes on how far across and up or down the heavie bullets print on target should give you a quick indication of how many clicks to use on re-zeroing.
    Opinions often differ according to unknown circumstances.

find a good 130gr head soft point this will do everthing you want i droped a moose with 130gr, just come back off the reds and sika droped them on the spot, a friend and i reload hornady 130gr .

gadget

Always felt that .270 was a 130gr calibre with 30-06 the 160gr calibre. Find the factory round for each and the traveller is made. You'll have ammo wherever you go.

Stan

Thanks very much guys for your feedback, there seems no doubt here that 130gr is the way forward and that's the way I shall go, thanks again,

Crumpy

i have shot a good few sika with them . head/neck noting better ..chesting a bit to lite .i would not use them on reds full time . 130gr sst or B tip would be better also soft points in the same gr weight . i would not use 150gr on sika / red hinds .. after using them for a season .. best bullet for the 270 is federal Btip or norma sst in 130gr as a all rounder

norma make a 130gn in the bullet you love so much. doubt you would even notice the difference under 200yds.
    the deer would though.

have most of my experience of red deer with 130gn Norma (all shapes and sizes) and have tried a variety of other off the shelf loads and brands. 150gn, Winchester, federal, and most recently RWS in 130gn.
    made a right mess, much more prone to fragmentiation on ribs or serious deflection off the point of aim than the norma

Thanks for the input, have sourced some this week and off to pick up later today,
    Crumpy.

A few guys around here swear by the 110's for hinds, I suspect mostly neck/head shots.

I'd go for 130's just for the fact you have already had doubts, as confidence in kit is key