fed up with gun shops

dollman

fed up . put my 6.5x55 in for a 2506rem wanted a xbolt the gun shop said yes we can get you one in a x bolt ,that was about 12 days ago,sent my , cert in went to to the shop today,sorry they said we can't get you a 2506 ,what about a ruger.or a t3 , i said no i wanted a x bolt,not happy at this time,so in the end i phoned my f/a officer and they very kindly changed it for a 270win,so now i have 2506 reloading dies on my hands i am p/ssed right off, how can you run a shop like that, your comments welcome please atb steve

To be honest, it doesnt surprise me, ive had a guy recently who has shot full bore for years trying to tell me that a .308 isnt legal for deer past about 150yds because the bullet is going too slow.. What a moron.. all because hes got a new fangled 6mmBR. Hes also told me that damaged baffles in a mod WONT affect accuracy at all because the bullet isnt touching the baffles.. I have to wonder about the amount of knowledge that gunshops have.. The worst thing is to think of the new guys to the sport going in and being sold whatever rifle is on the shelf. Thank god for the internet!!

Why do i keep going back? Hmmm good question, lack of a convenient gun shop with plenty of rifle based supplies i suppose.

JCS, are you based down in N Yorks now??

My experience of trying to buy 7mm-08 ammunition bears this out. I've been told over the phone by a gunshop that they had plenty in stock, only to discover that it was pretty much every other 7mm round except 7-08. This was after a journey that wasn't exactly a 10 minute drive down the road .

I saved up the money to buy a new Sako 75, Zeiss 2.5x10 victory scope including scope rings . I was told by the gun shop owner delivery would be six weeks . I though that,s perfect as im hind stalking in 8 weeks What happens the rifle arrives , minus scope rings and they had sent a Zeiss Classic scope with the wrong reticle. I had to wait another Six weeks to get what i had ordered.
How do these monkeys stay in business.? I havent been back since .

ps the shop is in Bromsgrove

Last edited:
I hate the shops where you go on in specifically asking for a particular item and they respond with "no, but we've got this which is even better." No, it isn't better. It just happens to be what you've got on the shelf. Please don't treat me like I was born yesterday.

I hate the shops where you go on in specifically asking for a particular item and they respond with "no, but we've got this which is even better." No, it isn't better. It just happens to be what you've got on the shelf. Please don't treat me like I was born yesterday.

+1 on that!! I ordered some 7mm bullets, was told 10 working days and they would be in the shop. Luckily im not in a rush as this is the 4th week since i put the order in..

When the luxury of immediate alternatives evades you, it is worth being absolutely straight with the gunshop about how you feel - whether it be cheated or patronised. Also check if it is the owner you are talking to and not someone who is an amateur helper.
"Consumer is King" and "Communication is King of all".

Who would want to have their shop bad-mouthed? It's a tough enough industry as it is. The other point is that you don't sound as if you are a regular customer anyway, so where did you go before? What I'm saying is, shops are in the business of making money (it is their job..) but is also their job to market themselves well and that often means having a solid band of loyal customers who say good things about them, which brings more customers by recommendation.

So I think Matt at Francis Lovel in Oxfordshire is absolutely first class, as is John Powell in Reigate and Alex at William Evans in Pall Mall. Give these guys a call! :D

Ok I understand what your saying but let's be fair the Gunshop is in the hands of the evil importers :rolleyes:.

I ordered this one box of .280 Ammunition over 2 months ago and ordered Federal well despite checking with Edgar Bros on the phone and beign told yes it's on it's way from the States................... lie #1. we waited and waited then when chasing it up we now get told ahhh someone one forgot to put any .280 Remington on the order :banghead: then they found an old box laying around somewhere of Remintion Premier Boat tail 140 graina and shipped that at todays prices. The box is tatty and looking on the Remington website it's not even listed anymore so how old is this "new" box. I shall try e-mailing Remington with the boxes batch code and see if they can tell me ;).

Edgar Bros are getting a worse name all the time as it seems no one I speak seems to have a good word to say about them and all are basically saying what a bunch of rip off merchants they are.

So seeing as how this is just the latest sage in dealing with UK importers it might not be the gunshops fault at all. As the Indian would say :-

UK Importers speak with forked tongue :mad:.

I flatly and absolutely refuse to part with a single penny in a certain large gunshop in Bolton any more.

Why? Quite simple - I take exception to being patronised, d1cked around, and generally treated like an idiot.:evil:

I don't expect dancing girls and rose-petals scattered in my path - though that would be nice ;) - but I don't expect to be spoken to like a simpleton/liar either.

There are other places where I can easily spend my hard-earned....so I do. I'd rather drive further than part with cash in that place ever again. Shame, 'cos they USED to be OK....

edgar brothers, gun shops, not worth my time anymore, i am still waiting after 9 months to recieve a ceartain part for one of my guns from edgar brothers, it was paid for over 10 months ago. needless to say i am not happy. i now only use midwayuk or i manufacutre my own parts. then it is just down to the incompetant logistics network to get the job done incorectly.

skipp.

Brithunter - Depending on how old that tatty-box ammo is - watch it, which I'm sure you will. I had a young friend turn up years ago with an old ammo supply for his 300 H&H Mag. About half of the ammo packets were Remington and when opened for the first time, several cartridges in the cartons revealed cases with split necks.
It seems that with some brass - depending upon the alloy mix - a form of chemical ageing takes place. This can exhibit itself in a pinkish or green discolouration and pitting - or just like a form of work-hardening in forming cracks.

Maybe I'm being a bit over-cautious here - but I saw it as it was and the young fello did not even notice until I pointed it out. Not a nice thought to have him use any cartridges in that state - and certainly not 300 H&H mag.

One of my beat-stalkers ordered a .270 from a gunshop which we had dealt-with for years, and in due course this was ready to collect. He drove right across country to find that the agreed 'scope, as written on the order invoice, was not on the rifle, but they had topped it with another and wanted to charge him more.

So that caused a row and he refused to pay more for a scope which he didn't want in the first place - and it had been months since he had ordered the outfit.

Almost a year passed and the rifle turned badly inaccurate. It was found that the scope mounts were wrong for the action and had begun to rock, easing the set screws out of place. Another row and another refusal to pay for work which had not been properly done in the first place.

Now I'm retired and the stalker has shifted his business up the road to Tain and the firm we dealt with for some fifty years - and the estate were loyal customers - has lost their trade.

Another stalker - a friend of mine - ordered a replacement magazine for his SSG. It took months of constant telephoning and reminding - and that mag was not a cheap item. His estate had also been loyal customers.

New staff - new outlook - new fashion on selling to incoming sportsmen and women as the city gets bigger and more orientated towards tourism, so to blazes with the old clients. How can you be loyal to something which no longer exists ? It appears from this behaviour towards those who had once been the mainstay of their bread and butter - that they do not want to know about loyalty any more.

Anschutz importers Frank Dyke, had my dosh in February they sent wrong parts... still waiting for resolution useless shower

ecoman,

Thanks for that ;) just checked them and they are clean and bright and no flaws visable. I checked Remingtons web site and they don't list this ammunition now so where EB and the gunshop got a price for it is a mystery. No doubt it was charged as the new Premier Accutip or some such round :mad: so I have e-mailed Remington with the box code and batch number plus the price charged. I'll photgraph the box and contents and send them that as well. EB have had this kicking around for some time and they say it's the only .280 Remington ammunition they had :-|.

Now usually with stuff from the US we get charged the doller price but the sigh changed to the pound sign however this box has cost me over twice what it would have cost in the US. There is no way the Americans would pay $3.25 per cartridge for this Remington ammunition.

Looking on the web I see it's lists for around $35 per box and that's the premier bonded accutip ammo and this Boat tail ammo box mentions nothing about a bonded core just a hardened core. Basically it's a boat Tailed Core Lockt bullet.

Have pointed out to Remington that there is no way I can afford to buy their ammo here in the UK as I am not a millionaire and it's probably why their ammo sales are so low here. Their rip off importers :evil: :mad:.

OH looking at the box flap there is a clock face which has 98 inside it and the 3 missing so I am guessing that this was made in March 1998 :eek:.

Chill, next time go to the shop in Droitwich, UK custom shop, they have the scope you wanted on the shelf but more important the shop is run by a stalker.

Back