Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would a kelly kettle scare deer away

Would a kelly kettle scare deer away

All,

Apologies for what might be a daft question.

We're off to our lease ground this weekend. Mrs DB kindly gave me a Kelly Kettle for my birthday. I am keen to use it.

However, I am wondering whether the smoke and smell from brewing up after our morning stalk or before we head back to the B&B in the evening might scare the deer off. Our ground has Roe and reds.

I'd be very grateful for any advice.

Cheers,

Dovebob

The Kelly runs on newspaper , sticks , twigs etc........... I've seen deer in close proximity to people burning the same stuff in the garden in greater quantities, my Kelly plus the fry up kit on the tailgate didn't have any effect when on Arran.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Ask for a jet boil for christmas, they retail about 70, gas fuel and boil water in 60 seconds or less.....

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Quote Originally Posted by tartinjock View Post
    Ask for a jet boil for christmas, they retail about 70, gas fuel and boil water in 60 seconds or less.....

TJ
    Agree, Jetboil are the dogs boll**cks!! Small compact and lightweight. excellent for rehydrating, dehydrated rations too. Got mine at http://www.armyrations.co.uk/categor...44-Jetboil.htm

MSR, nearest thing to firing up the Oxy-Acetylene,......
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Kelly Kettle will be fine, I've used one on stalking trips many times. Take some firelighters, I know some will say its cheating but not me. As soon as you've made your brew tip the firebox out (where it won't burn the forest down!) otherwise it will be too hot to pack away. JC

Only scares things if you leave the cork in

Neil.

Thanks for your replies. The kelly is packed and will get a run out.

I've got an MSR Dragon thingy somewhere in the garage - very efficient and works well at altitude. However, it was like a little afterburner roaring away, waking up other campers.

I'm drawn to the traditional nature of the Kelly Kettle.

Take care,

Bob

have a good safe trip bob, look forward to hearing how you get on.

Jet boils are great but somewhat expensive. Instead I have a stainless mug, inside which I have a MSR pocket rocket plus small gas canister and tea bags. It all fits in a pocket and you can have fresh tea within three or four minutes. Goes with me where ever and lighter than carrying thermos etc.

Re brewing up and scaring deer - smoke is a natural smell so they are not too worried by it. Just the fact that you are there stomping about may move them away, but they will very quickly return.