New Kaps Binoculars

ejg

Since years I’ve been looking for an alternative for the high end German/Austrian optics. One doesn’t mind spending good money on good products but I don’t like spending only for the names sake. Since a few years I’ve been looking at the products of a small German company that are mainly involved in the manufacture of medical microscopes. Since many years they quietly manufacture very good rifle scopes as a side line business. I visit their exhibition booth every year when I’m at the IWA in Germany. This year Kaps had introduced a new range of binoculars 8x32, 8x42 and 10x42 with multi and phase coated lenses. One good thing about the IWA exhibition is, that most optical exhibitors are in one hall and one can nicely compare products. We could compare the new bino’s to products from Swarovski, Bushnell, Nikon, Minox and Leica . I wanted to order a set of 8x42 Kaps right away but was told that the few binoculars on the stand were only prototypes and that the production was about to start. I recently found out that the Kaps binoculars are on the shelf and I ordered a set in 8x42. This is possibly the best size for stalking in Ireland, 8x32 might be ok for daylight but not as good in low light conditions, 10x42 might be a bit wobbly if used single handed. In the meantime I have handed around the binoculars to experienced stalkers and received very positive response.
We compared Kaps 8x42 to Leica Ultravid 7x42, Vortex Razor 8x42, Swarovski SLC’s 7x50. The Japanese Vortex Razor which Retail at around 600 Euro are very easy to handle but are not quite as bright as the European glass. The lightest and smallest of the four sets are the Kaps weighing 650 grams. Field of view is very good at 126m or 7.2 deg angle.
It is very difficult to judge high end optics and for myself, all of these four sets have a wow effect when one looks through. Without knowing prices I would choose between the Leica’s and the Kaps because these win on best performance vs weight and size. Looking at prices.... the Kaps 8x42 costs only a fraction of the Leica’s. Retail prices of Kaps Binoculars are hopefully not only introduction prices. Retail prices are roughly 409,- Euro for the 8x32, 429,- Euro for the 8x42 and 449,- for the 10x42.

Left to right: Kaps 8x42, Leica Ultravid 7x42, Vortex Razor 8x42, Swarovski 7x50 SLC ( eye cups fully extended on all sets)

DSCN5156.jpg

DSCN5157.jpg

DSCN5182.jpg

edi

Hi Edi, I sincerely hope you discover a Top quality scope for a reasonable price. Certainly because they are light and small. I had a swarovski 8x56 SL for a few years and they just are TO heavy. You already mentioned these binoculars a few weeks ago. When I looked at their website, there is one thing that makes me suspicious. All their riflescopes get in "details" as a maker : K. Kaps ... Germany. When you look in "details" with the binoculars they say nothing. Why?????? Are they made somewhere in the far east? I hope not and would be glad that you tell us in a few weeks that you discovered a pair of binoculars which are as good as the other europeans but at a better price.
Good luck.

Brian,
I just contacted them directly. www.kaps-optik.de www.info@kaps-optik.de
They have a web shop also.
I also bought a scope off them that I'm testing, so far very good, 4 shot and 4 deer.

One great advantage of dealing with a small company like Kaps is, on the service page of their
website one finds an e-mail addr and the name of the person in charge of service. One can directly
correspond with him.
I will possibly import a few items from Kaps for friends who don't do internet.

edi

Hales, although I've been in contact with the owner of Kaps, I have not yet asked that question.
I will certainly not molly coddle the set I have and from handling they do not feel in any way inferior to the other binoculars we compared except being smaller.

The scopes are very alike the Schmidt & Bender classic range and built ultra sturdy.

edi

I had a look at a Kapps 6x42 rifle scope at the midland show.
Quite impressive for a £300 scope, seller was fawcettsonline.com if that helps anybody.

Neil. :)

PS: Fawcett's is nothing to do with me.

Last edited:
Ejg,

Established brands like Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss "tend" to be heavy for a reason, it's the only thing that works.

A new "Buck" hasn't figured out why, yet.

Easy to sell an equivalent product that is cheaper/better but then the returns start to come in and the first question that the new "Buck' asks is;

Well we matched their specification, why are ours failing and theirs aren't ?

Reason is they spent many million dollars figuring how not to do it.....

Stan

Ejg,

Established brands like Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss "tend" to be heavy for a reason, it's the only thing that works.

A new "Buck" hasn't figured out why, yet.

Easy to sell an equivalent product that is cheaper/better but then the returns start to come in and the first question that the new "Buck' asks is;

Well we matched their specification, why are ours failing and theirs aren't ?

Reason is they spent many million dollars figuring how not to do it.....

Stan

Stan, yes and no

The heavy brands failed day one with me....because they are not fit for our purpose
also failed because many others did not purchase the product because they are just too heavy.

The reason why some binoculars are heavy is not the only because it makes them more reliable,
the high weight is sometimes because manufacturers skimp and use the wrong materials,
just look at the developements in aerospace and the possibilities it created. Look at old Zeiss
bgat 7x42 or 8x56. Old technology and are still lighter than some newer binos.

The only advantage that a heavy bino has, is that it is easier to hold steady.
I think some binoculars are deliberately made heavy to give a false feel of quality and
the advantage of the steadiness. Maybe good for bird watchers but not stalkers.

European hunters on their high seats do not worry that much about weight anyway.
So there is less pressure to make a lighter binocular.

In Kaps's case, time will tell how reliable the product is.
At least it will be simple to contact them if any issues arise.
edi

No it didnt work Neil Still
not working

I think you might have spelled fawcetts incorectly in the link
Stu

Stu, If you delete your quote of my link, you will find my original link has been working since yesterday.
The one you quoted is wrong.

Sorry everybody, that will teach me to type the link, rather than copy and paste it :doh:

Neil. :)

Neil.

Back