Caught on fencing

Max

Had to shoot this Fallow buck yesterday morning at a land fill site.

It's right next door to where I stalk a few acres for Fallow, Roe and Muntjac. I had been out the evening before to try for Fallow but they came into my field ten yards behind me and I could not move or I would have bumped them, so no shot :(
When they had gone my GWP Max looked at me as if to say "I told you they were there".

Anyway it was ironic that I should get a call that a deer was caught in fencing the next day at the site. It's a string type fencing that is used to try and catch all the paper and plastic that the wind picks up on the land fill.

I was hoping to release him but he had too much free movement backwards and forwards and in full antler it was just too dangerous. Just like RTA's, very sad to shoot deer in these situations.

013.jpg

014.jpg

Max

About 40 years ago my father had to do the same to a deer caught in a fence. On display in the local hotel the antlers are claimed to be the record Scottish fallow head,
Jim

Nice looking buck shame it hadto end like that,but it was the safest thing to do and didnt suffer a long lingering death like some,good job done

Dont let the greenies see the pics for gods sake ..they will want a ban on the netting on cruelty grounds..we all know what they are like.

Hey - ho ! You must have stalked past that place dozens of times - and never imagined - - - - Sad ! Max will be saying, "Why the noisy rifle, Boss ?. Just use the net ! "

Hey - ho ! You must have stalked past that place dozens of times - and never imagined - - - - Sad ! Max will be saying, "Why the noisy rifle, Boss ?. Just use the net ! "

I get enough :cuckoo: looks from Max as it is without you egging him on;)

ATB

Max

If you ever need a home for him - - - - - - - - - - - - ! Great stalking colour for the hill.

A sad situation but you made the right call! any pics of the head without the netting?

ATB

Rob
243Sako

A sad situation but you made the right call! any pics of the head without the netting?

ATB

Rob
243Sako

Sorry no.

One of the site workers asked me to cut the antler's off for him, said he was a stick maker:-|

He was no medal but I would have been very happy to have taken him in the field when stalking. And yes I would have kept the head.

ATB

Max

Hi,

If Max wants a companion! I've got 12 GWP pups at the moment 6 dogs 6 bitches blacks and browns.

I found a roe buck in the same predicament once while out lamping foxes. Where do you stand with that one then? Shoot him at night? Then when you get stopped how would you explain that one!!!

Hi,

If Max wants a companion! I've got 12 GWP pups at the moment 6 dogs 6 bitches blacks and browns.

You are 8 months to late dennisgrm:doh: I bought a GWP bitch from a guy on this site with the sole intention of letting Max cover her when she is old enough.
He is 7 now so hopefully he wont be firing blanks when Rue is ready, thakfully they get on really well:love: at the moment that is.

I found a roe buck in the same predicament once while out lamping foxes. Where do you stand with that one then? Shoot him at night? Then when you get stopped how would you explain that one!!!

Tricky one that, but I am sure you would have been able to explain the welfare reasons involved and why you disspatched the animal and that you taking the carass for disposal;) No point in waste:)

Back