Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flash Hole Uniforming

Flash Hole Uniforming

Does flash hole uniforming make any differance if so how much.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Hi,

Uniforming flash holes may be worthwhile for serious long range shooting in some instances, however I would suggest unless you have nothing better to do its not worth bothering for hunting. Internal deburring of the flash hole can be more beneficial as burrs are often left on the inside during the manufacturing process. In my experience of 1000 yd F-class shooting very little or no benefit to accuracy was given from flash hole uniforming or deburring, however it may have helped increase velocity uniformity which in turn aids accuracy. But not significantly enough to make an impressionable difference even at long range.

Sorry if I contradict myself but the breakdown is a small but insignificant improvement is found even over extreme distance shooting.

Dennis Groom

Established Poster
    I'm with Dennis I to shoot F class but I use Lapua brass which doesn't need the flash hole uniforming, I uniformed some.222Rem cases to see if it is beneficial
    I have a very accurate Remington 722 I use Winchester cases they do have burrs but uniforming the cases made no measurable difference on the groups at 200 metres, if you have the tool it is worth tiring it out you can deburr the cases while watching TV

I am normally an anti gadget person, but uniforming flash holes where needed is, technically, a good thing. Can you tell it in a hunting rifle using decent brass to begin with?? Probably not.~Muir

Uniforming flash holes, uniforming primer pockets, skimmming the necks on regular cases, polishing brass are all pretty much a job for the terminally anal shooter....UNLESS.....the option is to sit at home watching your better half watch s***e on t.v at which point they become essential steps to be performed in your reloading room/shed without disturbance.

Every man should have a shed to hide in!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

'Time I put a heater in mine. I tend to check and use the inside deburrer on brand new cases. Just as a matter of form I suppose - never really thought about it - but I do feel a bit of resistance to the reamer going into the flash hole at times.
    Opinions often differ according to unknown circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by dennisgrm View Post
    Hi,

Internal deburring of the flash hole can be more beneficial as burrs are often left on the inside during the manufacturing process.

Hi Dennis

This sounds like a wonderful wee tool, is it also suitable for taking these wee round sticky things off my socks at this time of year? Thanks.

(Welcome to the site, speak soon)

Brian
    Last edited by jamross65; 22-11-2010 at 22:09.

Quote Originally Posted by sikadog View Post
    Does flash hole uniforming make any differance if so how much.
    Feck all as far as I can see.