Thread: frustrated

frustrated

how difficult did you chaps find it to get your own bit of stalking land or syndicate place?
    i know there is plenty of let days advertised,and i have tryed a few but it would be nice to have a place where you can learn your land and quarry instead of depending on someone elses knowledge. i have tried leicstershie,derbys warwicks,notts and northamps foresty, and some around the borders ,also asked on here.i have my dsc1 and am a dsc2 candidate i dont mind travelling within reason. anyone out there who could point me in the right direction,i would be very greatful of any help,cheers simon

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by simon wardle View Post
    how difficult did you chaps find it to get your own bit of stalking land or syndicate place?
    i know there is plenty of let days advertised,and i have tryed a few but it would be nice to have a place where you can learn your land and quarry instead of depending on someone elses knowledge. i have tried leicstershie,derbys warwicks,notts and northamps foresty, and some around the borders ,also asked on here.i have my dsc1 and am a dsc2 candidate i dont mind travelling within reason. anyone out there who could point me in the right direction,i would be very greatful of any help,cheers simon
    Best thing you can do is join a syndicate Simon
    But try not to join one that everyman and his dog tramps over.
    regards
    Stu

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    I lost my ground just under a year ago, I was then trying every avenue to get ground, I got a Hind syndicate and I am now also in a DMG, good lowland Roe stalking, had one visit so far, trampled around half the ground.

It does take time, and there is no guarantees. I still don't have my own ground, but what I do have is for me at the moment all I need.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

I had farmer friends who encouraged me to help manage their deer. I have got more stalking through beating, giving venison away to neighbouring farms and landowners and helping out keepers locally with fox problems.

There are also let days, on the hinds is most affordable, or with doe culls if you have no stalking of your own.

Atb, ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

It seems to me that getting your own ground isn't easy and most who have some ground, I suspect those people with thousands of acres spread over a number of landowners are in the minority, are just a phone call or letter in the post away from losing it.

I started by asking around and talking to friends and contacts and eventually I got the offer of a very small area of ground that, despite its small size, held a lot of deer. While getting some experience there I kept asking around and over time the opportunity of a much larger area of ground came up and my experience on the smaller area stood me in good stead in that I had some experience of dealing with animals I'd shot on my own etc. Even at that one area is a 5 hour round trip and the other about 3 hours so none are close to home and I am very much a beginner at this so I can't claim any expertise.

Based on my experience I'd say there isn't any magic formula to pass on to you, you just have to keep asking and investigating and be willing to accept any offer no matter how small the ground or how far from home. Once you have a little bit of stalking available to you then that might open doors to other opportunities but my experience is that you can expect it to take years rather than weeks - I'd say my process of having no ground through having a tiny area and now to having what I feel is a good area of stalking has taken quite a few years, maybe as much as 5. I could get a letter in the post in the morning and be back to nothing again so even if you get some ground your problems will not be over.

You may find that if you are buying bought days on a regular basis from the same person then they may, once they get to know you, allow you to stalk the ground alone on occasions and that might be a good way to gain experience before you get your own ground. It may not be exactly what you are after but it might be worth floating the idea with whoever you take bought days with and seeing what their reaction is - the chances of success probably depend on how well they know you.

The other problem is that stalking seems to be increasing in popularity and so, of course, there are more people after less ground. It is also the case that in some places money talks and that puts most of us out of the running.