Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where

where

maybe a silly question but where do you do your graloching. i used to do mines on the hill where ever the beast fell but recently theres been a change friend of mines has just gotten a winch fited to the back inside of his landy as he was fed up strugling to get shot deer into the back after he had exsplainded to me how heavy they where i said surly not that heavy since theyd been graloched surely. he then said he does the graloching back at the larder. also the head stalker where i stalk has now taken to graloching back at the larder after many years of doing it out on the hill. so was wondering if this is a growing trend or has back at the larder has always been more popular.

Account Suspended
    It depends on where they are situated and how many need doing at one time. The gralloch the gets done back at the yard ends up in the waste pit along with the heads and feet.

I control the deer on a golf course and cannot gralloch there for obvious reasons, the punter's (putter's) sensibilities cannot be offended. They pay the money! So everything shot on there is done in the garage at home, or in my mate's larder.

The three next door farms I can gralloch on the spot, if I so wish. But as i do not have a pit with a locking lid, everything tends to get bagged up at home and taken to the tip.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

gralloch where they drop, then bury .

skipp

At a recent Meeting of deer managers locally, we were told its no longer acceptable to bury gralloch because of water table and running water issues among others, we were told its acceptable to leave out of site of the public for vermin to clear up. Monkey spanker was there and will confirm our amazement, D.I. also agreed? Must admit last lot I left was gone in two days leaving only a green trace. deerwarden

Burying gralloch has never seemed practical to me. It rots in the ground, as said possibly contaminating the water course (unlikely) and it means you have yet another piece of junk to carry when stalking. If its in a public/sensitive area then i would bag it or do it back at the house/larder otherwise, its discarded discreetly to be eaten by the local vermin..

Leave it where the beast dropped, unless of course circumstance dictate otherwise, on a golf course or the middle of a public footpath etc obviously is not a wise thing to do. What people tend to forget is that animals do die in the wild, other than being shot by the likes of us, and mother nature has spent a long time training and evolving her own waste management team. It might be unwanted to us but to some of nature it is a tasty snack and is usually gone in a couple of days.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    Leave it where the beast dropped, unless of course circumstance dictate otherwise, on a golf course or the middle of a public footpath etc obviously is not a wise thing to do. What people tend to forget is that animals do die in the wild, other than being shot by the likes of us, and mother nature has spent a long time training and evolving her own waste management team. It might be unwanted to us but to some of nature it is a tasty snack and is usually gone in a couple of days.

John

It's an important food source , remember we are taking the whole deer out of the natural food chain.

Stoker, I see you are in Caithness, plenty of crows , ravens & eagles to clear up after you, and it's unlikely you would get the beast into a larder quick enough

I agree, leave it under brambles or kick leaves over it unless site specific requirements mean you have to take it away. One thing I would add is, cut the rumen open and don't leave heads and feet (not that you should be removing these in the field but I know some do) JC

Due to the type of ground I was stalking this year we were told to leave everything including the lungs, heart etc on the hill. All the deer are dragged a great distance down near vertical slopes to the pony path at the bottom.