Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jobs

Jobs

Well at the moment I'm a joiner but would like to get put of the building traid as it's in such a mess at the moment but the only outher thing I know is keeping, any of you guys ever retrained for a diferent job if so is it worth it?

hi russ i was a greenkeeper but the money wasnt so good i really enjoyed the job and was outside and left to my own devices but needed to pay bills and with a child on the way and went to a fabrication company started off at the bottom and worked hard and now i run the workshop money is ok and i have the workshop on a night and weekend to do my own thing which is great but much prefared to be outside, but my skills help me in stalking and i can do the things i want so abit of a trade off really i know money isnt everything but its bloody hard when you have a house and family to support . i wish you well in whatever you decide all the best,wayne

Cheers Wayne I know what you mean about the money situation but keeping was always my first love but don't know if I'd now be able 2change my life stile to keeping

Of course you can and plenty have done so.
    Plenty of keepers have had previous jobs although it is a dificult job to get into and often is down to who you know rather than what and just being in the right place at the right time. If it's what you want then go for it.

Word of advice , if you do go ahead, keep any property owned[if you have any that is] and get it rented out, it's always a bit of security if you are in tied accom.

Hi Russ
    As all of us in the construction game know that work is getting scarce its also happeninig in other trades mate see if you can get a weekend job keepering at first to make up the pennies and to see if you still enjoy it then make the transition over but dont give the day job up just yet you may not get back in all the best in finding what you want
    Paul

Hi Russ,
    I too was a joiner/general builder, I shut the doors to my business about two months ago for the same reasons as your finding. I now run a pub and I'll tell you I won't be looking back its the best move I ever made.
    So my advice is follow your heart, life to short to be stuck in a job that you hate.
    Good luck
    Ads

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by ads03 View Post
    Hi Russ,
    I too was a joiner/general builder, I shut the doors to my business about two months ago for the same reasons as your finding. I now run a pub and I'll tell you I won't be looking back its the best move I ever made.
    Ads

Not wanting a row but...... I would have said it was out of the frying pan into the fire. Unless you have a thriving food side to the business of course, and even that is getting tougher each month.

Research for the British Beer & Pub Association (BBPA) showed 52 pubs closed every week in Britain for the first six months of the year, an increase of a third on the same period last year.
    Pubs closing down 'at record rate' | News

That was in 2009 and the rate has hardly slowed thru out 2010. With VAT due to increase on Jan 4th its not likely to slow down very much in 2011. Osbourne is also getting set for another hefty rise in duty.

God luck with the pub I hope it works out for you.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by russ91 View Post
    Well at the moment I'm a joiner but would like to get put of the building traid as it's in such a mess at the moment but the only outher thing I know is keeping, any of you guys ever retrained for a diferent job if so is it worth it?
    My advice is don't look to full time keepering! Find something else that you want to do, and do the keepering in your spare time. At last that way you'll be able to pay your bills and have a reasonable standard of living for you and the family without the Mrs having to work full time as well.

Evening Russ,

It is fair to say that things in construction are rubbish. It has been tough for over a year now and I can't see any major improvements on their way for some time. Having said that it may not be the right time to move out of it. Whilst you're gainfully employed it may be wise to stay put until the climate changes and the risk of needing to return only to find no vacancy is slimmer. Essentially - not burning your bridges should the keeping not work out.

I've known a few guys change careers completely, and have benefitted massively from it (after the initial period). I just don't see many people in our game doing anything other than keeping their heads below the parapet at the moment.

Maybe I just need bigger balls to make the jump myself?!

DC

Hi Doc,
    Your not starting a row, that same thought crossed my mind before stepping into this game. However I am not a tennant, I manage the pub for a very large and well known company (fullers). So we have alot of support behind us. We do indeed have a good food trade as well as the 14 bedrooms, but infact our wet sales are just fantastic (touch wood).
    So if your ever down in the Portsmouth/Hampshire area pop in and have a beer.
    I guess my real point of my earlier post is, don't waste your life doing something you don't enjoy, there's plenty of time for that when you fall off your perch!!!!!
    Cheers
    Ads