Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which "Shooting Organisation" and Insurance?

Which "Shooting Organisation" and Insurance?

I am about to renew my insurance (To be fair I would rather not say who I am with at the moment) but would like to go to an "Organisation" that can offer me a bit more than just the insurance ata reasonable price! I know that the BASC offer a pretty comprehensive cover in exchange for their membership fees but I have heard that they are "not always the best" and are "quite expensive" compared to others! What I am looking for is someone that can offer me a reasonable insurance cover plus advice on legal (Shooting related) matters and such like should I need it - Basically a "complete package" - At a reasonable price. I have been told that the SACS are pretty good and only about half the price of the BASC but I am open to suggestions.
    Please guys, rather than just answering something like BASC, SACS or whatever and leaving it at that can you give an explanation or reason why you would chose them i.e. Why you think that they are better than any of the others available.

basc

basc for me as the guys/girls are very approachable for advice on the telephone.
    magazine pretty good and you get a bushwear catalogue too.
    lakelander and heym rifles.

This subject has been done to death so many times. May I suggest you search on BDS, BASC, insurance and other obvious subjects. You will find all you need to know - and much that you don't.
    KevinF -

Pay your money and make your choice.

Like all things, the lower the cost, typically the less you get. Cheap insurance is fine, if you can live with the limits and restrictions on the policy, and the limits on when you can actually claim on the policy. As I have said so many times before, check the full policy wording before you part with your cash, otherwise you have no idea what you are actually buying!

The chance of you ever making a claim is remote, because shooting is so safe and well run, so look at what else the associations deliver for you and for shooting. All the associations offer more than just insurance of course, so pick the one that fits you best.

Much of the work the associations do is ‘behind the scenes’ as it were – meeting the firearms licensing teams, Home Office ministers, politicians, the local and national media, responding to government consultations and so on.

All this needs resourcing, with small resources you have to pick and choose what you can get involved with – take the Cumbria shootings for example, only two of the shooting associations could field people to go live on TV and radio to defend shooting.

Take the Home Affairs Select Committee- only thee shooting organisations have been able to give verbal evidence to the committee, I am not sure how many of the lower cost orgs have even given written evidence.

If you take a look here: http://www.basc.org.uk/ and take a look at the ‘key issues’ tab, this gives you a flavour of the things that need addressing at the moment in the UK to keep shooting safe. Someone needs to do the work and the work has to be funded.

Not everyone can afford to support BASC, I know and although we are not about to slash our membership prices to try and attract new custom, we do hope to introduce phased payments in the very near future so members can spread the cost of membership.

David

Quote Originally Posted by ricksmaile View Post
    basc for me as the guys/girls are very approachable for advice on the telephone.
    magazine pretty good and you get a bushwear catalogue too.
    If anyone wants a Bushwear catalogue just send me a stamped adressed envelope....I get one arrive by some means about every other day! I have only ever bought a couple of items. Their print run must be in the millions. JC

BASC is expensive. You may resent the costs. However, the day you need your cover, you will be damn glad of it.

BASC went in to bat for me in a big way last year. Service was better than great.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

BASC without a doubt... they are the strongest voice in shooting, they are always the first organisation to release a statement when there is an incident in the news, they even have a studio facility at HQ with direct links to the radio stations and most importantly Prince Philip is the patron

membership £66 and worth every penny IMO
    Last edited by Si; 22-11-2010 at 14:21.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Account Suspended
    NGO for me. Run by keepers for keepers and their supporters. Left BASC when the keepers left the management committee and started their own organisation following the appalling attitude of BASC senior management. Cheaper as you don't have to pay the wages of the favoured few.

Am also a member of the CA, have been from the BFSS days. Best broad spectrum country sports organisation there is IMO. At least they stand up and fight the antis and politicians who would see us all sat at home watching TV rather than be out doing what we really love. Worthy of your support for that fact alone.

Glad you are happy with the NGO / CA, but just to clarify a point, the 'keepers did not leave the management committee of BASC, there was a split within the gamekeeping advisory committee and those that did not support the advisory committee view left and started the NGO.

Nor do I think your comment about 'a favoured few' is worthy - after all I am sure the staff of the NGO and the CA get paid as well!

I agree though , its important to have healthy well funded and resources shooting organisations that will stand up to the politicians etc when needs be and have the resources to support their members properly, there are plenty out there to choose from.

David

Account Suspended
    David

Thanks for the history lesson. Unlike many I lived thru that period and paid close attention to the causes when the keepers felt it necessary to kiss BASC good bye. Best thing they ever did IMO

Yes the admin staff of the NGO and the CA get paid, just as BASC pay their staff. What the NGO don't have are free loaders on exorbitant salaries, company cars and jollies with their mates. What the CA have is a determination to fight for cause rather to suck up to those that would do us country sportsmen down. They also have a dynamic new CE and a focused determined and progressive management team. I consider the NGO and CA bloody good value for money. You might consider that unworthy.

I agree though , its important to have healthy well funded and resources shooting organisations that will stand up to the politicians etc when needs be and have the resources to support their members properly, there are plenty out there to choose from.
    At least we agree on one thing. I just think that there are some that offer better value and or do it better across a broader spectrum than others.