Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: learn a language

learn a language

I am a great lover of a challenge, & wish to learn another language, other than the 2.5 i know. What experience have you of languages & whats the best learning system on cd you tried? linguafone, rosetta stone etc etc . Thank you

Account Suspended
    Judging by the content of some of the posts on the forum. There are an number of posters who's grasp of the queens english is such that it must be their second or third language.

It most certainly isn't their mother tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc H View Post
    Judging by the content of some of the posts on the forum. There are an number of posters who's grasp of the queens english is such that it must be their second or third language.

I found the Micheal Thomas CDs invaluable brought my Spanish on leaps and bounds with easy to follow tutorials.
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

MrYou,

Figure out where you actually WANT to go back to several times, it really does help if you can go and embrace the way of life. So much language is non verbal.

The BBC cover the core languages very well both online and through CD.

I've always been comfortable with French and get on well when "out and about". I'm now using the Rosetta Stone system as it "doesn't teach". You get led through selection and nudging and really does hone your action.

Quickest way to immerse yourself in German, French, Italian or Spanish is Michel Thomas. A great start but you then really do need to start watching satellite TV to keep the pace up.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Doc H View Post

I know some French. "F8ck off" springs to mind.
    I agree with you mate. We have to accept/expect a few spelling mistakes but the standards are getting worse.
    And as for people using text talk......................
    basil.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

You could give this a stalking twist by learning Scots Gaelic and taking a few days stalking on Uist, Harris or Lewis to practise.

It must be said that I consider Gaelic to be unlearnable but I never was one for languages, including English, but maybe that would make it more of a challenge for you.

Michel Thomas...such a logical way to learn a language, especially when he points out that you already know a huge vocabulary just by making a few simple changes.

Established Poster
    North Lanarkshire, the land that Summer forgot.
    I've just brought the BBC's Learn Russian book and CD's, will let you know how I get on. I work in Kazakhstan so should get some practice, can only help when out after work......

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    You could give this a stalking twist by learning Scots Gaelic and taking a few days stalking on Uist, Harris or Lewis to practise.

It must be said that I consider Gaelic to be unlearnable but I never was one for languages, including English, but maybe that would make it more of a challenge for you.
    Hard enough to understand those boys speaking English, never mind Gaelic....

I was forced to try and learn Gaelic (Irish) at school. I could just never get it. I could read it a bit, I read French up to a point, but I cannot speak or understand it spoken to me.

I would really like to learn German. Must have a crack at it some time.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......