Thread: Weil's Disease

Weil's Disease

I was told by a friend at the pheasants on Saturday about a bloke who had contracted Weil's Disease and subsequently died. It was thought that he caught it from handling pheasants by their feet and then possibly through eating and his fingers entering his mouth...

It made me think how manky my hands can be when out stalking /shooting/working dogs and nowhere to wash the hands except a burn or pool. Weil's disease thrives in water so that would not make any difference. More importantly both my boys come out stalking and shooting with me and the thought of them catching it...

I couldn't find the above incident via Google but regardless, pheasants will without a doubt come in contact with rat's urine so from now on the wee bottle of sanitiser will be getting used.

I wouldn't use the rats 'wee bottle'
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

Having been involved in many rat infestations running my own pest control business in the past, leptosporosis (weils disease) enters the body usually through cuts and scrapes, I would advise anyone to cover cuts/scrapes preferably with suitable gloves PPE before any work is carried out as by the time you clean your hands with hand sanitisers after work it could be to late ( no hand to mouth) especially around infested areas.Many thousands of people come into contact with the bacteria and have mild cases,although rare it causes a fatality,recent case,Andy Holmes gold medalist rower is believed to have died from weils disease .

Quote Originally Posted by Range Master View Post
    Having been involved in many rat infestations running my own pest control business in the past, leptosporosis (weils disease) enters the body usually through cuts and scrapes, I would advise anyone to cover cuts/scrapes preferably with suitable gloves PPE before any work is carried out as by the time you clean your hands with hand sanitisers after work it could be to late ( no hand to mouth) especially around infested areas.Many thousands of people come into contact with the bacteria and have mild cases,although rare it causes a fatality,recent case,Andy Holmes gold medalist rower is believed to have died from weils disease .

I agree with Rangy M, it is caused by rats urine entering the blood stream through an open wound. We used to have an annual raft race in aid of charity down here when I was a kid, after the 2nd guy had died of wiels they stopped it. Should have had a Wiels disease charity raft race to raise it's profile me'thinks ! OOOOOH Controversial !!!!!
    HOW MANY HALF TRUTHS MAKE A STORY.....ALL OF THEM.....JUST NOT THE WHOLE STORY !

Account Suspended
    Apart form wearing protective gloves and covering cuts, sores and broken skin with suitable adhesive plasters, washing your hands with ordinary soap and water and then thoroughly drying them is about all you can do to protect yourself in the course of routine exposure.

Swimmers and other water sports participants are at risk from the ingestion of contaminated water. There is very little you can do to prevent that 100%.

If concerned about risk of contamination I suggest giving the following a readhttp://www.leptospirosis.org/

Weil's disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc H View Post
    Apart form wearing protective gloves and covering cuts, sores and broken skin with suitable adhesive plasters, washing your hands with ordinary soap and water and then thoroughly drying them is about all you can do to protect yourself in the course of routine exposure.

Swimmers and other water sports participants are at risk from the ingestion of contaminated water. There is very little you can do to prevent that 100%.

If concerned about risk of contamination I suggest giving the following a readhttp://www.leptospirosis.org/
    Bad old do, I had it in the seventies, nearly killed me, but I made a complete recovery, got water skiing, never been so ill in all my life.

I lost a fishing pal a few years ago to weils disease, possibly caused by ingesting water when changing flies and tying knots.

weils disease

hi brian pools of standing water are the worst rats urine in them et some on your hands or feet any little break in the skin lets it into bloodstream also rats climbing about onbottles and things in garages sheds or even a bothy on the hill you can get it from anything. it kills an aveage of 6 people each year
    atbtom

I'm amazed that in this day and age there isn't a human vaccine (to my knowledge). It is routine for dogs and many cattle.

Hand sanitiser cannot be a bad thing, but trying to prevent infection is best.

I understood this is why it is traditional to carry pheasants by their necks rather than their feet.

I used to work in water industry an was issued with cards:Instructions to card holders;1.As infection may enter through breaks in the skin ensure that any cut,scratch or abrasion is thoroughly cleansed and covered with a waterproof plaster.2.Avoid rubbing your eyes,nose and mouth during work.3.Clean protective clothing,footwear and equipment etc after use.4.After work and particulary before taking food or drink wash hands thoroughly.5.Report all accidents and/all injuries however slight.5.Keep this card with you at all times.
    The best wipes I have found,that can be thrown in your vehicle etc,are Gorilla wipes.Handy to have and not for use on pet gorillas!
    www.gorillawipes.co.uk