Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mono or Bi sticks?

Mono or Bi sticks?

Mono or Bipod?

For those of you that have used both, which do you prefer mono or bi sticks and why?

I like to keep my shooting fuss-free, but understand that some DSC1 shooting tests require shots using a support so I want to put some practice in using them.

Have been looking at the Deerhunter sticks, as have little time to make my own (and would prefer something collapsible anyway).

Look forward to hearing your experiences.
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

Bi-pod are steady, tri-pod even steadier, mono's are a definite art to use !
    HOW MANY HALF TRUTHS MAKE A STORY.....ALL OF THEM.....JUST NOT THE WHOLE STORY !

From what i remember when i did the DSC 1 about 7 years ago sticks were supplied for the test, and i think the standing shots taken off sticks were at targets at about 40 M. Its not too taxing even if you have never used a set of sticks before and if you are any sort of stalker you will hit the target if the rifle is on zero. I agree with Ade 30-06 about steadyness but would add Tri-sticks are a fiddle when setting up for a shot on a stalk. Good luck with your test !

Thanks chaps, that is useful. I can already hit a 4inch target at 50m standing at 4x mag, is it possible to shoot without using the sticks or am I just making it harder for myself?
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

Rick, I started over 20yrs. ago shooting with a single hazel stick as a steady(as I'm sure a good many others did) I progressed to a pair of sticks as a standing bi-pod and eventually made myself a tripod that I have now used for probably the last 10yrs. I am happy with my shooting using this set-up.
    It is possible to shoot without the sticks but I'm sure there won't be many that use off-hand when there is time to deploy or utilise some sort of aid for a steadier shot whether it be single/twin/tri or quad sticks. I've probably only taken 3 off-hand shots at deer in 20+yrs and then never at over 30mtrs distance. Others may be comfortable taking off-hand shots at longer ranges but practice at paper targets before using this method on live quarry. Never shoot beyond your "comfort zone" at live targets.
    Just my two penn'rth.
    Cheers, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by RickoShay View Post
    Thanks chaps, that is useful. I can already hit a 4inch target at 50m standing at 4x mag, is it possible to shoot without using the sticks or am I just making it harder for myself?
    Prometheus is correct if my memory serves me right, 40m standing using sticks was what I did too. You can risk it, but you WILL be nervous, it could be windy or cold, and you would not want to fail on this aspect would you. It is accepted that using sticks aids accuracy, it does ! There's no need to get too bogged down with details. If you don't want to spend a lot in the short term get some garden sticks from a centre, bind them with a rubber exhaust bracket hanger and practice with these, they'll cost you about a fiver . You can practice in the house watching TV, I shot both of the JEDWOOD twins 57 times last night before I got bored !
    HOW MANY HALF TRUTHS MAKE A STORY.....ALL OF THEM.....JUST NOT THE WHOLE STORY !

I started off with a shepherds crook, because that's what i had. Then i went shooting with a friend who had X3M1 two legged sticks and was impressed, so i bought a pair in the great Litt's give away. I am still using them. I stalk the sort of ground where bi-pods are not much use because of the brambles and undergrowth, sticks are a real help. I also need something which breaks down to fit in my Jimny, and my sticks are telescopic. I am tempted by a tri-pod.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...ighlight=stick is worth a look through. 4 sticks are very stable. Rgds JCS

Neither!
    Quad sticks are by far steadier. In fact as good as prone with a back support to lean on like a tree!
    Can also be used as a bipod or even mono in a rush.
    MS

With respect to the quad sticks, how do you find they fold down/collapse for hoofing it about the hill or forest?
    Are they not too cumbersome?
    Think i'll knock a set up for trialling as they won't break the bank!!
    Cheers, Rb