Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullet Choice for 7mm-08

Bullet Choice for 7mm-08

I am struggling to find a consistent supply of factory ammunition for my 7mm-08.I will probably start handloading, but have been talking to someone who will custom load for me in the meantime. I know it will be the rifle that will decide what it likes best, but I'd be interested to hear any recommendations as to what type/make of bullet it would be worth trying. Most of my stalking is roe, with the odd fallow now and again. Barnes bullets have been mentioned to me, but their cost will push the price per round up considerably. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

+1 for the Hornady 7mm 139 grain bullet.

Hornady 139 Grn BTSP from a 7x57.

This was recovered under the skin of a White tailed Buck shot at about 60 yards. The bullet entered just behind the last rib on the right and was found under the skin of the left shoulder.

This was the second, un-needed as it happened, shot. In the photo you can see the first hit which took out top of the heart and both lungs. The buck was running diagonally behind me towards the creek and depsite the blood spraying out the exit wound at each stride I feared he was going to reach the creek and go over the shear 6 ft drop making recovery difficult so I shot again and he dropped. The first bullet shot whilst he was standing broadsides was not recovered. This load had been chronoed at 2850fps and yes I like their performance.

Trying to get my imperial head on Kev That bullet has almost tripled in size, thats incredible.

I also have arecovered 150 Grn Hornady Spire Point bullet taken out of a Fallow and shot from my .303 sporting rifle:-

Range was about 50-60 yards. The deer was facing me and entered to the left of the sternum and was recovered under the skin of the right flank.

Now the 7mm well tese are the notes I attached tot eh photo in the album:-
    Hornady 7mm 139 BTSP
    The bullet expanded to approx 0.600" and retained 94 grains of weight for 67.65% of it's original weight, good performance.

0.600" is 15.23mm and thsi is one reason why I don't see the need for the "Premium" bullets. I will take a better photos of the bullet sometime against the ruler as with the 7mm one.

Oh and one otehr thing.............................. Hornady make three different 139 Grain 7mm bullets the BTSP, a SP and a flat nosed one. The flat nosed one shoots superbly from my BSA CF2 but ........................................... but it will not feed from one side fo the magazine .

I used to reload a flat nose Hornady for the .308 150gr I think, that was very accurate but poor BC. I then went through a flat and furious stage and experimented with various polymer tipped offerings. May just go back to the Hornady soft points bullets as they are the right money. Currently using Hornady SST .Have yet to recover one of those on a beast ,but did recover a couple from the range and they had suffered from complete jacket seperation.

Plus 1 for the hornady 139gn interlocks. My 7x65r likes them and deer don't and don't cause too much damage on small deer but plenty of penetration if needs be.

Thanks for the comments. I 'm having 3 trial loads made up, with Barnes 120gn & 140gn, plus some Berger VLD's. I'd rather stick with something like a Hornady where the expansion maybe greater, but was told that it is hard to get hold of 7mm bullets at the moment. I'll see how these shoot, and try something else if I'm not happy with them.
    Last edited by Moonraker68; 24-11-2010 at 09:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker68 View Post
    Thanks for the comments. I 'm having 3 trial loads made up, with Barnes 120gn & 140gn, plus some Berger VLD's. I'd rather stick with something like a Hornady where the expansion maybe greater, but was told that it is hard to get hold of 7mm bullets at the moment. I'll see how these shoot, and try something else if I'm not happy with them.
    Hmmm methinks some is using this excuse to sell over priced Premium bullets . Both gunshops I use in the locality, that's within a 30 mile drive to the shop, have Hornady 7mm bullets on the shelf the last time I checked. The shops are:-

Forest Lodge Guns of Wraby Lincolnshire

Burgh Gunshop at the Licolnshire Shooting centre

I would be very surprised if F.A Anderson of East Grinstead in Sussex was out of them. Of course one of the main importers Edgar Bros are pretty darned useless nowadays and due to the stupidity of the section 5 ammunition thing . Well it's working slowly by strangling the shooters of supplies which I am sure was part of it's intent.

Time to stock up some more methinks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010Whitetail5x5.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	3616

Again my dang brother beat me to the punch. This 5x5 whitetail was taken with a 145 grain Speer Spitzer from his trusty custom 7x57 at 170 yards. I've never seen a deer hit with this bullet that has been lost.~Muir